Smashed potatoes

Community Leader
Smashed potatoes
Sat, 03-02-2013 - 12:12pm

Pioneer Woman made smashed potatoes on her show today.  I love these, but her recipe was entirely different from mine.  She boiled small red potatoes then smashed them, on a baking sheet, drizzled with oilve oil, added salt and pepper, and crisped in a 475 oven for about 15 minutes.  

When I do them, I nuke them.  Then I smash them in a hot skillet with olive oil, and flip once to crisp on both sides.  I love them!  A sprinkle of shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, and some chives don't hurt a thing!  Crisping in a little bacon fat is nice too.  

Have you ever smashed and crisped taters?  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 11:15am

Yes, Misty, red potoatoes or Yukon golds.  This is a great recipe for a very waxy potato.  

Linda, here is how we make potato pancakes:

To leftover mashed potatoes, add a splash of cold milk, a beaten egg, and a cup of flour.  Knead into a soft but dough, add more flour if needed.  Form into patties, dredge in flour, and fry in hot oil in a heavy skillet to brown on both sides.  I add diced onion and shredded cheddar to my dough.  When done correctly, the outside is crispy and the inside is light and slightly fluffy.  Mom ate them with ketchup.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 7:05pm
Yes I have but I just smash them and add butter to them for the family but for me I just spray them and pepper and salt them.. I love baked potato this is a close second, the skin is what I like with potatoes...
<
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 4:57pm

I have been making the Pioneer's Smashed Potatoes for years.   My kids love them.   They call them 'crunchy potatoes.'   I takes mine longer than 15 minutes to crunch up though.   We like them really crunchy.   I need to try your version, Karen. 

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 1:15pm
I have never tried them that way. I made fried potatoes, just peel and thinly slice raw russets and fry until crispy in a lot of bacon grease and/or butter. I also take left over baked potatoes and peel, chop ad fry in bacon grease and/or butter until crispy for breakfast hash browns. I'm going to try that some day, my girls love potatoes. Karen, do you use red potatoes?

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sat, 03-02-2013 - 3:59pm

Those are smashed potatoes?  They sound yummy. just call them fried mashed potatoes.  LOL.  My dad made potato pancakes that I wish to heck he had written down the recipe because I sure miss them and no one knows how to make them.  I ate them sprinkled with sugar or with applesauce or rhubarb sauce.  Hmmm, now you have gotten me hungry.

Photobucket