Smoker or gas grill?

iVillage Member
Smoker or gas grill?
Thu, 05-22-2014 - 11:36am

Do you use a smoker or gas grill (or both) for outdoor cooking? What do you usually cook on it?

Brenda

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2014 - 11:52am

I have a smoker box I put inside my gas grill when I want to smoke anything.  I have a big grill, that also has a rotisserie, and a side ring burner, should I want to boil something in a pot.  I cook everything on my grill.  My deck has a covered part, which is right off the dining room, so unless there is 2 feet of snow out there, I use my grill all year long.

Community Leader
Thu, 05-22-2014 - 12:34pm

I thought they were two different beasts? That is, I thought they cooked differently. Personally, I would do a gas grill and then, like sabr said, add a smoker box when wanted. It won't be the exact same thing as a smoker, but you'd have a grill to do non-smoker grilling, kwim? You can definitely smoke hot dogs if you want, but I think you'd get better use out of a grill than a smoker. Down the road you may want to own both. :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2014 - 2:10pm

You're right--a smoker and a grill are 2 completely different appliances.  A smoker ONLY smokes.  It cooks "low & slow"--that is a temp around 250 degrees, and taking 1 to 1.5 hours PER POUND OF MEAT. 

A gas grill with at least 6 burners can be used for direct grilling, where the food is right over the flame; indirect cooking, where the food is placed in the middle of the grill & the burners under it are off or very low, while the burners off to the sides are higher, which basically turns your grill into an oven; or smoking, where your wood chips are placed in a smoker box over one high burner on one side of the grill, and all the other burners are low.  Place the meat on the opposite side of the grill from the smoker box.  You will need to use a grill thermometer to make SURE your grill is keeping the proper temp, and a good instant read thermometer to check that your meat has reached the proper internal temp.

Community Leader
Tue, 05-27-2014 - 3:01pm

We only use our Traeger now, but if we had a nice BBQ, we would probably still have it out.  Ours was old, and we love our smoker, so no real reason to buy another BBQ.  We still have a small camping type BBQ though that kept.  

Remember though.  The Trager needs electricity.  Love, love how it cooks though.  I had a stove top smoker, like the others talked about and I also used that on the BBQ in the past.  They also make awesome smoker bags.  

Just my experience.  They are different, so can't really say one or the other is better.

Serenity

Serenity
Community Leader
Tue, 05-27-2014 - 9:40pm

I love my smokers, which also grill!  No gas, just charcoal and hardwood fires here.  But I live in the home of the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, LOL!  You can't do that on a gas grill.  

I have a Weber that I recently bought, but also a custom grill/smoker that I had built in 1984.  Here's a pic.  I'm looking at the rotisserie option for my Weber, I cook outside all year round and also have an electric option for water smoking.  

photo 000_0446.jpg

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 05-30-2014 - 9:38am
Well I have seen some smokers but never used one.. Sounds like a good thing.. I do grill .. Here in snow country we probably have some people up this way that do cook on these.. Just not me.. You are very lucky to be able to cook all year long on them..
<