Something other than PBJ or lunch meat

iVillage Member
Something other than PBJ or lunch meat
Mon, 08-11-2014 - 12:59pm

I know this topic has probably been covered a zillion times but I am not good at searching. I'd like to get some input on quick and easy packable lunch ideas that don't include a sandwich (or at least don't include a lunch meat or pbj sandwich). What have you tried that keeps for a few hours out of the fridge?

Community Leader
Mon, 08-11-2014 - 2:47pm

First question would be what is your objective?  Do you not like lunch meat, are you trying to do grain or gluten free? Is it it for kids or yourself and how picky are they?  Not knowing if there is a certain objective, here are my first impression ideas:

bagel and cream cheese
Hummus and pita chips
soups, stir fry, etc.  in a thermos
grilled chicken strips and a salad
veggies and a dip

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-11-2014 - 3:02pm

How about:

Salads
Chicken Breast Pieces
PB and Apple Slices
Tacos (ground beef, cheese, tortilla chips or tortillas)
Quiche
Lasagna Cups
Stir Fry
Rice

I LOVE my GoodByn products. I had a free sample of one and that's all I buy now. I love compartments! Look for a good thermos style container for hot meals. :)

demecafe

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-11-2014 - 9:11pm

I struggle with this also. A salad without dressing works.

Malea

Looking to work from home ? Ask me how :

www.askmalea.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2014 - 8:58pm

Anything leftover from dinner, from baked ziti, to egg foo yung, to taco meat, goes into a wide mouth thermos and becomes lunch the next day.  The odd slice of chicken breast, meatloaf, or pork tenderloin often finds it's way between two slices of bread, as does leftover omelet or frittata.  Quiche and spaghetti pie can go in a zip bag.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2014 - 10:30am

Thank you all!! These are great ideas. My mind was stuck in the same ole lunch routine of sandwich and chips and I couldn't think of anything else.