Soup and what to add

Community Leader
Soup and what to add
Sun, 04-27-2014 - 6:40pm

Making some delicious  soup and making some  nice bread  -

All kinds of veggies and   making   homemade  bread... 

Adding a little curly doc to the bread..  sure helps  to the texture.

I dried some of the  curley doc  last year , so I am all set..

Soup I will take  all the leftovers in the refrigerator for my soup.

So I am  going to have a nice soup when I am all set..

Have you ever  made a throw together mixture  for you supper.. or lite  meal..

Dandelions are  coming on in this area... already had   3 batches of them plus I have froze some for later use too..

<
Community Leader
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 10:34am

I've only made soup once! LOL I made chicken soup, but I cheated and used a rotisserie chicken. It turned out pretty good. I'd love to get some more recipes for homemade soup. 

I'm curious about the dandelions. Do you grow them for food or are you talking about the weeds? I never knew you could eat them. I'm guessing there is a special variety for eating vs what's growing all over my front yard! :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 10:42am

I've never made soup from fridge leftovers but have friends who have. I'm not sure I am brave enough. I really prefer soups made from fresh ingredients.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 12:15pm

What kind of leftovers are you using? I'd love to find a way to use up leftovers when we have meat because we always end up making too much and then forgetting about the leftovers - like pork loin, roast beef, etc. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 8:25pm
The only kind of soup I've ever made is Navy Bean. I just put a mixture of beans , Hamm,onion and some seasoning and cook it all day in the slow cooker..Its really good :)

Malea

Looking to work from home ? Ask me how :

www.askmalea.com

Community Leader
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 11:38pm

I make lots of soup.  Nothing better!  When the kids were growing up, I cleaned out the fridge on Sundays and made "Garbage Soup."  The neighborhood kids would come sit around my kitchen island, with their school books, while the soup cooked, for some tutoring.  They would wait for the soup, and say, "Ms. Karen, your leftovers are better than my mama's cooking..."  Pretty funny!  

Meanwhile, down at the restaurant, I'd be making the soup.  When I made the vegetable beef, there was not much stir.  But when I made the chicken noodle (with homemade noodles), customers would sit and wait for it to be done, order quarts of it to go, and one customer loved it but objected to the look of the parsley in it.  So he asked, "did you make the soup while you mowed your yard?  It is full of leaves!"  I said, "no, that is parsley!"  He said, "Partially? I think NOT!  It's slam FULL of leaves!"  

My customers were great.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 11:41pm

Soups I make often:  Tomato, chicken noodle, vegetable beef, white bean and ham, Florentine, beef and barley, chicken gumbo, French onion...I love soup!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 04-29-2014 - 5:06pm

k_roni wrote:

Soups I make often: Tomato, chicken noodle, vegetable beef, white bean and ham, Florentine, beef and barley, chicken gumbo, French onion...I love soup!

Oh I'd love some of your recipes! French Onion, Chicken Noodle, Tomato, Beef & Barley - shoot I'd love the white bean and ham one too!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 9:23pm
I make soup almost every Sunday, but I cheat a little bit and start with canned soup or broth. I use both leftover vegetables and frozen ones. I always add onion and usually celery. If I use beef, I buy stew beef, cut it into small pieces and brown it in a little olive oil. If I use chicken, I either use baked chicken breast or sometimes when I buy boneless breasts I cut the 'fat' off and that leaves me with pieces with a little meat and I boil those, which gets rid of the fat, and use that. I also will boil down a rotisserie chicken and pick the meat off the bones. I put the stock in a pan, add the onion, meat, veggies, and add spices - always salt and pepper, sometimes oregano, garlic, basil, or bay leaves, or poultry seasoning. I sometimes add a can of diced tomatoes. After that cooks for 30-60 minutes, in a separate pan I cook pasta, rice, or barley for a little longer than the directions suggest, then rinse and mix it to the soup, and cook a little longer. It smells wonderful whatever I mix in! For cream soups, start with cream of mushroom, celery, or potato and add vegetables like cooked broccoli, raw asparagus, raw mushrooms. I also mx cream of chicken and cream of mushroom with mushrooms and chucked. Again, I use an onion and celery (I use the inside stalks for soup even when they are a little limp). I've been doing this for years and I haven't made anything I didn't like...with some bread, this makes a nice meal for me.
Community Leader
Wed, 05-07-2014 - 1:14pm

I love making soup, and it is THE ONLY way to clear out your leftovers!  When my kids were small, every Sunday I cleaned out the fridge.  My kids and most of the kids from around the neighborhood (ages 2-15) would gather around my kitchen island with their school books and I would tutor them and help them with their homework while the soup cooked.  I called it "garbage soup."  When the homework was done, I would declare the soup done and everyone dug in for a bowl.  One little guy said, "Ms Karen, your leftovers are better than my Mom's cooking!"  

Photobucket