Spiral Ham vs Carved Ham?

iVillage Member
Spiral Ham vs Carved Ham?
Mon, 04-14-2014 - 2:59pm

I'm not sure I'm referring to it the correct way - carved ham - but I saw a whole ham, flatish, in Costco and was wondering if anyone has made that vs the regular spiral cut hams? The one I saw looked sort of like a turkey breast type shape that you would carve at a deli, not a spiral ham shape and definitely not the deli ham shape (that triangular shaped one). 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2014 - 3:07pm

Does the flatish looking ham also feel harder/dryer?  If yes, it may be a "country ham" and it requires soaking and simmering rather than just popping it in the oven. 

Community Leader
Tue, 04-15-2014 - 8:10pm

Costco and Sam's Club cater to churches and small restaurants, and their food products reflect that.  The ham you saw is a buffet ham.  It is not like a canned ham, but it is by no means a natural ham.  The bone and been removed and it has been pressured into a shape that is ideal for putting on a slicer and making great deli sandwiches.  It can be baked and sliced, but you are not getting the real deal, which is a bone-in ham.  And I don't think you will like it baked.  It is great just sliced as is, and served as sandwich meat, though.  

Country ham (whole) is also bone-in, and is not what you are looking for in the spring.  It is salt cured and smoked for LONG storage without refrigeration, and yes, it does have to be soaked and brought back to life.  Then a little goes a long way.  It's very rich and salty.  

I think I need to post some ham info.  It is so hard to know what you are looking at if you don't know; that is not an insult, that is just the fact that most people don't buy hams often and most stores don't carry all of the options available.  I even had trouble getting what I wanted when I had my restaurants and could order in advance.  

Ham tends to be a mystery...I got another good question on Facebook about ham, and I see another ham question that is the same question.  Stay tuned!  We'll talk ham!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 04-20-2014 - 5:05pm
I have to agree The ham you saw is a buffet ham. It is not like a canned ham, but it is by no means a natural ham.
<