Squash and a baking pan

iVillage Member
Squash and a baking pan
Sun, 09-04-2011 - 8:39pm

Ok, so I have a couple of questions....

First, I watch food network a lot. Most of the chefs on there use those baking pans that are a plain aluminum looking sheet pan. Racheal Ray seems to be the only one that uses what I know as nonstick pans. What is the difference? I cant seem to keep a nonstick

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-04-2011 - 10:56pm
I have goten that film of oil on my pans also, and I have non stick ones. It's about impossible to et off, so I end up lining mine with foil when I need to.

I think Summer squash and Yellow squash is the same thing. I LOVE it. If you like zucchini, you will like yellow squash. I cook it the same way, I stew it, raost it in the oven, or just slice it and fry it in a pan wtih butter and salt. Not a healthy way, but SO good.

I have foud that yellow squash tends to be a bit more tender than zucchini though. It freezes well too, and I have a recipe for a zucchini loaf that you can use either in, I will post it in recipes soon! I have seen it in the grocery stores year around, but I bet it's better about now. I have a plant we were trying to grow, but it's frozen already, so I don't think we'll get anything off of it.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 8:52am
Yay! I hope I can find it up here then. I dont remember seeing it, but that doesnt mean much , lol...thats why I asked.

I line my pans all the time now too bc of that film...frustrating. I go through a lot of foil....

Visit

Community Leader
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 2:06pm

That film is something we call "yellow glue" in the restaurant biz, and even though it looks terrible, it actually seasons a good professional aluminum baking sheet.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 6:00pm
me too I love any fresh veggie!
<
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 6:46pm
Thank you! I bought one of those aluminun ones from GFS. I had one in my hand at Sams but put it back for some reason. then when we were at GFS I just got it, lol. Didnt know about the 'seasoning'. I just assumed it wasnt a good thing so thank you! I cant do zucchini raw, lol. Just like brocoli...I love it roasted or sauteed, but HATE it raw! Wierd I know.
Oh, and I agree about most of the stuff Racheal Ray uses. Those so called casserole dishes she shows just look useless!
So do those aluminum sheet pans do a better job at cooking? Like more even? Or is it just a personal prefference?

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 8:07pm
I agree about the Rachael Ray pans and dises. My niece has some of her casserole dishes, and they are more trouble than they are worth. Weird shape. I like my Corelle stuff just fine! And a fracton of the price to boot.

I can't do squash raw either, I've tried but just can't do it. I'll get that zucchini casserole recipe on soon...lol. Promise!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 9:56pm
I think they are a LOT more even. And you won't see pros using anything else!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 10:00pm
I agree on the Corelle! It doesn't get any better! I have my mom's set from the early 60's, mine from mid-70's, and other pieces I have inherited over the years. It's the best!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2011 - 8:20am
We got a huge box of corning wear dishes 7 years ago for a wedding gift. I am still going on those. They are awesome and the white is so pretty!
Ok, Im excited to give my aluminum sheet pan a whirl. If I like it, I am going to get a couple more and a pizza pan! WooHoo! I love inexpensive new kitchen stuff

Visit

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2011 - 9:34pm
I LOVE LOVE my soneware pizza pan from Pampered Chef. Noting sticks, I use it for pizza, cookies, biscuits, etc. It's GREAT. Not so cheap, but it'll last forever, and there is a free replacement if you break it.

~Misty~

Pages