There is so much help available here

iVillage Member
There is so much help available here
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 11:02am

I have never tried a cooking board and thought I would try this one and I want to thank everyone for all the help with my meatloaf. I am not that great a cook and would like to ask a few more things.

Baking a chicken: What is the best way to bake a chicken?

Pasta noodles: Mine are always undercooked or overcooked. I can't seem to get them right. Any suggestions?

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-19-2014 - 10:20am

I sprinkle my chicken in garlic salt and poultry seasoning, wrap it in foil and plop it in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours. Turns out perfect every time.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 1:39pm

Pasta is easier.  Bring a BIG pot of SALTED (to "taste like the sea") water to a rolling boil.  Pour in pasta, stir immediatly.  Leave UNcovered.  After about 5 minutes, stir again, & fish out a piece, and check for doneness.  Old time Italian cooks would throw a piece at the wall, and when it sticks, it was done.  I don't recommend that.  Instead, take a bite.  You want your pasta "al dente", which means there is still a bit of resistance when you chew.  Stir and chew a piece every minute or so.  When it reaches desired doneness, pour pasta into a BIG colander, and carefully stir the pasta.  Then toss the hot pasta with the hot sauce, immediatly.   It also depends on the brand of pasta.  Reasonably priced and reliable brands include Barilla, De Cecco, Geraldo di Nola, Delverde, & La Molisana.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 1:11pm

"Best" is a subjective term.  It all depends on what you like. This is the one that *I* like the best--easy and delicious.  In the oven, or on the grill.  Instead of beer, I have used cans of Mikes Hard Margaita, Mikes Hard Lemonade, or simply a soda like 7-up or Sierra Mist.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beer_can_chicken/