They're messing with my Easter!!!

Community Leader
They're messing with my Easter!!!
Wed, 04-02-2014 - 3:14pm

Argh! I just learned that my sister will be serving leg of lamb on Easter. WHA?!?!?! I don't eat lamb. So my mom will make something at her house and bring it for the rest of us (they live in the same state, I do not). Now my mom texted me and said, "Would you rather a pork loin with the lamb?" OMGawd, woman! HAM. We have HAM on Easter. I'm thinking we need to rethink who gets the holidays, because this is just not working for me!

So, what do you make for Easter? (I know we touched upon in a bit in the other thread.) Would you be willing to give up your traditional meal for something else? (You can tell I'm having a really hard time letting go — I've been doing Easter for 12+ years, lol.)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2014 - 3:56pm

Wow!  I don't think I can handle having drama for Easter!  Undecided

I am spending Easter with a bunch of Bohemian friends and have no idea what will be on the table.  As long as it is not against my personal belief and/or health reasons, I will give everything a try.  After all, it is the company, not the food, that really matters.

Community Leader
Wed, 04-02-2014 - 5:17pm

We used to have leg of lamb or a ham. Then my dh stopped eating red meat so it had to be poultry, fish, or vegetarian. These days I just "go with the flow" when there is a gathering. The one tradition we do keep for Easter food is hard boiled eggs and a rich bread like challah or brioche for breakfast/brunch. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2014 - 11:29am

Easter is one of those holidays when we don't really have a tradition as far as we have always had the same meal.  Now if you took away turkey on Thanksgiving, that would be sacriligious, but I don't care whether we have ham on Easter.  MY kids really didn't like ham when they were little so we would have other things and no one really likes lamb.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2014 - 11:08am

How interesting that your family wants to do this. I think you should give it a try and see how it turns out. If things don't go well then you can go back to ham.

Community Leader
Sun, 04-06-2014 - 10:18pm

I like ham to be but like Christmas to me it doesn't really matter if you are with those you love and love you.
I might go to a dinner where I live and probably have something low-key for ds and myself.
I would love my dd to come but not too sure yet...
ALL of us have Anxiety so it is difficult sometimes.

Nightangel
Community Leader
Mon, 04-07-2014 - 11:05am

I'd be like you.  I grew up doing turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for christmas and easter.  When we moved to Texas, a lot of people down here do prime rib for christmas which seems odd to me.  DH isn't a real ham fan...  I am planning on a ham and homemade scalloped potatoes for easter anyways, but it'll be a small once since its just the 4 of us and I believe he may be on call that weekend. 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 7:38pm

Easter is wide open for me.  I DO have a ham in the freezer, and I'm considering using it.  But in the restaurant business, holiday meals tended to be ham-turkey-yams-green bean casserole-cranberry anyting-dressing-gravy (you get the drift?)  from about Nov. 1 until Easter.  I got SO SICK of every menu for every party, holiday, catered office meal...all being the same, and culminating with the SAME DANGED THING on Easter!  

Lamb is actually traditional for Easter, because that is when the lambs were being slaughtered anyway.  So it was fresh meat, as opposed to cured ham, which had been hanging in the smokehouse or the corner of the barn since the fall (thus ham for Christmas).  I don't like lamb, myself, and would rather do Chinese for Easter.  Somewhere in the archives here, there is a pictorial of my daughter and I preparing a really insane Asian meal for Easter.  The family loved it.  I made a pressed turkey one year that the family will never forget, it was fabulous but a lot of work!

Come to my house...I'll share my ham with you.  Because I need it out of my freezer, LOL!

Photobucket