Tough chicken

Community Leader
Tough chicken
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 12:42am

I bought a stewing hen to use with my beer can roaster. The fist time I used a fryer so I thought this would be better...

Maybe it was just the bird but let me tell yo the dog wouldn't be able to chew through that skin....I tried taking it off the bone so I could grind it tomorrow but I think it is going to go in the trash......It pooped me out trying to get the meat off and I gave up.

I thought this only happend to a newlywed.....lol......

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 12:52am

A stewing hen really needs to be boiled or stewed to make it tender enough to eat.

Community Leader
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 9:27pm

LOL!!!!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 10:35am

Granted I don't know where this chicken was raised and what decade...lol....but my favorite thing of all times is when the hens stop laying and we would clean them for roasters.....And believe me I have cleaned a lot of them. One summer 3 of us, my DMIL, DSIL and I cleaned over 300. And I have never ever had one this tough.

But I have a story.

This same DSIL bought a stewing hen in the store one time like I just did. Her DH put it in a pan of water on the stove at about 8am. Had it just bubbling.. She came home from work at 2 pm. and said that it must be done so she went to poke it with a fork and couldn't so she put the lid on it and just let it cook. At,4 she took it out and could not stick a fork in it so she tried cutting it and it wouldn't cut... So she said she had some good broth and let the chicken cool and took it out and gave it to the German Shepard that she had for a while (belonged to one of her kids. That next winter the kid came home from the service and took the dog. So the next spring my DSIL was going to plant some flowers where the dog chain had killed the grass. And she dug up a chicken carcass it was still whole.... That big dog couldn't eat it either....lol

Her and her husband are both gone now but it is one of the family things that we can talk about and have a good laugh.

I don't like to use fryers for roasting because they are mushy. And even for chicken soup but till I get a farmer that still cleans chickens I am stuck with fryers....

BTW, Yesterday since the dressing I made was so darned good, and it really needed some chicken I bought a rotisserie chicken.... and found that even though I may have eaten a bite to much of those 2 things it was a bit rich for how I have been eating. And getting older the system can't take care of that stuff like it used to....lol.....serves me right don't you think? I think I will be able to stay in bed tonight.... lol

Thanks

Community Leader
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 10:38am

I don't like to think of the time I tried to cook duck. No one told me they were different than chicken to cook.

Well let's just say, I proably had 4 cups of duck fat and couldn't chew that either.

Now watching the cooking shows they tell me that duckfat is like gold.....and that they keep all the rendered fat for use later.... all I can say is YUCK! I know my system couldn't take that....lol

But they still look good.

Community Leader
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 11:45am
That is too funny for words! Poor dog. LOL!!!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 11:51am

What they do with the duck fat is fry potatoes in it.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 12:03pm

I like this idea, I am a brussels sprout lover!

Photobucket