Trying to start planning meals, ARGH!

iVillage Member
Trying to start planning meals, ARGH!
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 1:12pm

Now maybe its because I'm trying to do a month at a time right off the bat, but that is what works a little better for my family. I only do a big shopping trip once a month (joys of being on food stamps, Frown ). But I'm trying to work it so I have an entree for the night and some options for sides, i.e. Hamburger gravy over pasta/rice/toast with a veggie. A think a big part of my problem is I want to have 5 or more different entrees for each "type" (red meat, pork, chicken, fish, maybe even vegetarian) so I only have each once a week. Oh well, I'll keep pluggin away at it, see if I can get enough ideas Undecided

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 8:00pm

Before computers and in the restaurant biz, I laid out a month at a time on a hand drawn calendar, 3 meats and 9 veggies, 2 salads a day.  That concept might work for you, smaller scale of course.  A month is hard to plan, but it DOES keep you focused.  When it comes to the budget, purposeful recycling of leftovers is key, and pasta can give you a lot of options for leftover veggies.  Dressing is always a "go to" for me as a side, when I have bread in the freezer and celery in the VASE (pronounced VAHZ) in the fridge, onions, peppers chopped in the freezer...

Funny you'd mention the hamburger gravy over rice or mashed potatoes or noodles.  That was mom's specialty when I was growing up.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 10:40am

I was sitting here and couldn't believe I'd forgotten things like b-fast for dinner and chicken quesdillas, lol. I'd like to get one set up by New years, at least partially. Hmm, that would work, get 2 weeks worked out, then get to the next two weeks. So now I've got red meat with 6 options, chicken with 4, pork with 3, fish with 5, other/fun with 2. At least I've got a start Smile. Why I'm trying to do this is for the next semester, so my mom or I know what we are going to cook that night and not have to try and figure it out at 5pm, lol.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 1:51pm

Don't forget soup and sandwich nights, taco nights, and the dreaded tuna salad.  I can make a can of salmon go a long way.  And my kids got pancakes and sausage for dinner often!

Photobucket