We are making baby food!

Community Leader
We are making baby food!
Thu, 01-10-2013 - 1:33pm

Making baby food at home accomplishes two things:  it saves you tons of cash, and spares your child from food additiives and preservatives.  All you need is a small food proocessor or blender, or a food mill.  The blender I got for my wedding nearly 40 years ago came with two small cups for making purees and salad dressings, without having to use the big blender jar.  

When you cook your family's meal, hold out a little bit of the vegetables before you season them.  The baby doesn't need spices.  Puree with a little bit of water or stock.  Don't be afraid to serve the baby the same vegetables for several meals in a row.  Actually that can help you spot food allergies; my pediatrician recommended introducing baby foods one at a time, and feeding for one week, to see if there was any negative reaction, before introducing another food.  Don't use canned vegetables; cook from fresh or fresh frozen.  

Meats are a bit more difficult  to master, but can be processed to a paste with stock after cooking.  I never wasted my money on baby cereal either; cream of wheat and  oatmeal, made on the stove for your family, will suit your baby too.  

Now...guess who is expecting, and wanted to have a baby food thread?   

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Mon, 02-18-2013 - 7:10pm

Hi Heather!  Welcome Home!  I know you know Hanna, who also has a little one, but you probably don't know the rest of these ladies.  Ladies, welcome Heather back, she is a sweet new Mom who lives in Finland!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-18-2013 - 8:28am

Hi! Long time no post!
My little guy, S, will be 6 months old at the end of this month and this last weekend we gave him his first taste of "real" food: smashed carrots. I just boiled up a carrot and then smooshed it with the baby food mill my mom bought me (and the same type I remember her using for my younger siblings).

The first time I gave S some carrot, I added in some water. After that I've just given him straight carrot. He loves it! I know what I have given him isn't puree smooth, but he doesn't seem to mind. I plan on preparing most of his food myself, but if we are in a hurry or I need to use store bought stuff, I won't beat myself up over it. (Which is how I have been about most everything so far.) I also have a book my mom gave me about making and preparing food for the little one. I should start reading it more thoroughly now that he is getting to this stage.

As for buying baby food, I've purchased a few jars, for those times when we might need them. I don't remember looking at how expensive they are per kilo, but I don't think it was too bad. Plus the ingerdients are decent. Yes, there are a bit of fillers and water, but I am trying to buy Finnish made food if possible.
So far in his almost 6 months of life, we have only ever used 2 boxes/bottles of formula and that was within the last couple of weeks and one time he didn't want to eat it.

#DE711F < =< -->

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 11:23am

E favorite breakfasts, ( based on the amount she got first)

Oatmeal and raspberries.

2 tablespoon rolled oat / porridge oat flakes

2 tablespoon frosen unsweetened raspberries

5 tablespoon water.

(a icecube and or more cold water)

Mix everything in a bowl, nuke for 1 minute stir and nuke for 30 sek more.  Stir and add a small icecube to soften the porridge and to cool it  down, pour in to the childs bowl and serve.  You can with a stick blender mix it really smooth to start with.

Applecinnamon porridge.

2 tablespoon porridge oat / rolled oat

3 tablespoon of finely  grated apple

4 tablespoon water.

a pinch cinnamon.

(a icecube and or more cold water)

Do as above.

Jungleporridge:

2 tablespoon rolled oat

4 tablespoon of water.

a piece of ripe banana

2 -4 tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice.

Mix the water and  oatmeal, nuke for 1 min and then stir and nuke 30 sek more.  Mash the banan and mix into the  porridge and soften with the orange juice.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-21-2013 - 2:49pm

Yes,  honey should be avoided and also  pure liver dishes.  What they say now is to spice the food as you do normaly minus salt and salty spices mixes, because that gets the kid used to  the normal food.  

Also  eat the same as the child,  if you have fish, the kid has a  child friendly version of your dish because there is  no  kids food, all foods  can be  a childs favorite.

So much has changed since I had  S 19 years ago,  the idea is now that the food should be enjoyed not just a belly filler and it should be fun  to eat.  We eat with E, every meal  so she can mimic us and eat by her self, she does mimic dad, she cleans the table after she has eaten.

Community Leader
Mon, 01-21-2013 - 12:51pm

Good to know that the baby is doing well, Hanna!  I agree about the herbs.  Herbs are not spices, but are power houses of essential nutrients.  You also need to avoid honey for the first year. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-19-2013 - 5:25pm

Didnt know you got knocked up again K-Roni. ;)

E is  eating well now and we  stuck by the new  rules of introducing food since we dont have any know allergies only food intolerans in the family.  Spicys are oki, children actauly prefer to eat seasoned food over un seasoned, the only thing they cant have is salt and sugar, those two are a BIG NO NO.   For a young child  herbs are better then dry spices to start with.  

Sugar  is empty calories and makes a child  feel full faster which is bad, they need  vitamins and minerals with comes with  fruits and vegs. So no adding sugar to the  food.

Salt, a child get enough salt from normal food like baked bread and cheese, so adding salt to the cooking water of potatoes or adding salt to the food, and salty condiments like soy or stockcubes should be avoided.  Instead remove a portion for the baby  then add salt , stock cubes and sum such to the  adults dinner.

Other big no nos are   vegetables high in nitrate, like  green leafed plants and beetroot,  they should be avoided until 1½ - 2 years of age. Also always introduce food while breastfeeding or  feeding formula and the key is being slow. 

So in this household E eats and joys what many would call adults food, how ever we have made baby friendly by removing salt, sugar and nitrate rich vegitables and also we mash them up to suit her.

This was her food  for today.   Breakfast  Orange oatmeal, sandwich, water and some mummy milk.   Lunch: fruit rice with water.  Fruit time: Lychees and mummy milk.   Dinner.  Keema curry with rice,  water and dessert a lychee. She also had some snacks ( mummy milk).  

She is 8 months old and thriving, walking around funiture and the  doctor told us she was in perfect health and also a bit a head , because she kisses and claps her hands.

Community Leader
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 7:08pm

The dishwasher or hand washing is fine for the little food containers.  Since you are not canning, sterilizing is not necessary.  I would puree about a cup of vegetables or fruit at a time, fill about 3 containers, keep two in the fridge for the next day, and make a fresh batch almost every day.  

You never want to put any uneaten food back into the fridge if you are feeding the baby straight from the container.  His saliva on the spoon will "digest" the remainder of the food in the container, and it will turn into essentially water; not good for baby!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 3:07pm

Do you sterilize the jars first? How long can you keep it without freezing?

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-11-2013 - 10:32pm

I know, I couldn't believe how expesive it is.  I get WIC and they now have fresh or frozen fruit and veggie vouchers, I get a total of $16 a month right now and that helps.  

Those were the containers I was talking about!  I am going to pick some up the next time I go shopping.  

Yes, we are definitely hoping for a boy.  We'll have an ultrasound aroud week 22 or so, and we'll find out then.  But, if it another girl at least we hve girl stuff!!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Fri, 01-11-2013 - 4:41pm

I looked at the prices of baby food and you are paying $6.40 per lb for what is heavily diluted with water and then treated with tapioca and thickeners for texture, and colored artificially.  UG!  I think of the unnatural hues of pureed peaches, carrots, peas, and green beans, and I cringe.  I found small plastic containers with screw tops at the grocery, a perfect size for baby food.  I think they are 3 oz.  I use them to take small servings of veggies to work for my lunch.  I haveGlad mini rounds but the screw top ones are Rubbermaid.  Love them.  

I guess you are hoping for a boy this time?

Photobucket

Pages