We are making baby food!

Community Leader
We are making baby food!
Thu, 01-10-2013 - 1:33pm

Making baby food at home accomplishes two things:  it saves you tons of cash, and spares your child from food additiives and preservatives.  All you need is a small food proocessor or blender, or a food mill.  The blender I got for my wedding nearly 40 years ago came with two small cups for making purees and salad dressings, without having to use the big blender jar.  

When you cook your family's meal, hold out a little bit of the vegetables before you season them.  The baby doesn't need spices.  Puree with a little bit of water or stock.  Don't be afraid to serve the baby the same vegetables for several meals in a row.  Actually that can help you spot food allergies; my pediatrician recommended introducing baby foods one at a time, and feeding for one week, to see if there was any negative reaction, before introducing another food.  Don't use canned vegetables; cook from fresh or fresh frozen.  

Meats are a bit more difficult  to master, but can be processed to a paste with stock after cooking.  I never wasted my money on baby cereal either; cream of wheat and  oatmeal, made on the stove for your family, will suit your baby too.  

Now...guess who is expecting, and wanted to have a baby food thread?   

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-18-2013 - 8:28am

Hi! Long time no post!
My little guy, S, will be 6 months old at the end of this month and this last weekend we gave him his first taste of "real" food: smashed carrots. I just boiled up a carrot and then smooshed it with the baby food mill my mom bought me (and the same type I remember her using for my younger siblings).

The first time I gave S some carrot, I added in some water. After that I've just given him straight carrot. He loves it! I know what I have given him isn't puree smooth, but he doesn't seem to mind. I plan on preparing most of his food myself, but if we are in a hurry or I need to use store bought stuff, I won't beat myself up over it. (Which is how I have been about most everything so far.) I also have a book my mom gave me about making and preparing food for the little one. I should start reading it more thoroughly now that he is getting to this stage.

As for buying baby food, I've purchased a few jars, for those times when we might need them. I don't remember looking at how expensive they are per kilo, but I don't think it was too bad. Plus the ingerdients are decent. Yes, there are a bit of fillers and water, but I am trying to buy Finnish made food if possible.
So far in his almost 6 months of life, we have only ever used 2 boxes/bottles of formula and that was within the last couple of weeks and one time he didn't want to eat it.

#DE711F < =< -->

Community Leader
Mon, 02-18-2013 - 7:10pm

Hi Heather!  Welcome Home!  I know you know Hanna, who also has a little one, but you probably don't know the rest of these ladies.  Ladies, welcome Heather back, she is a sweet new Mom who lives in Finland!

Photobucket

Pages