Weeknight Lasagna

Community Leader
Weeknight Lasagna
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 8:02pm

Lasagna doesn't have to take forever.  I like this recipe because I could run in after work, spend 15-20 minutes getting it together, toss it in the oven and go play with my kids for a while.  I don't boil the lasagna noodles, and I started doing that before there were "no boil" ones, so just use what you have.  

1 lb sausage (I use either Italian or Williams breakfast sausage, the breakfast sausage is the hands down favorite with my family and customers)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in juice
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
Basil and oregano to taste
24 oz tub small curd cottage cheese or ricotta
2 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic
12 oz mozzarella
Lasagna noodles

In a heavy skillet, brown the sausage and drain off any excess fat.  Add crushed garlic and cook to soften.  Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, herbs, and bring to a simmer.  Meanwhile mix cottage cheese, eggs, parsley, and parmesan cheese in a bowl.  Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray, ladel in enough tomato-meat sauce to cover the bottom.  Layer in uncooked lasagna noodles.  Top with more sauce and half of the cheese mixture.  Layer in another layer of noodles, the remaining cheese mixture, remaining tomato sauce, and top with a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese.  Bake uncovered 45 minutes until bubbly.  

NOTE:  make sure none of the noodles are exposed in cooking.  They should all be covered in sauce, whether you boil them ahead or not.  If you boil the noodles ahead, use 2 cans of tomato paste and leave out the tomato sauce.  

I like to layer in some frozen drained spinach as well!  Yum!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 2:52pm
That sounds awesome. I'm going to have to try this next week.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 2:53pm
That sounds awesome. I'm going to have to try this next week.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 2:53pm

That sounds awesome.  I'm going to have to try this next week.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 8:00pm

Misty, I have to admit, the first time I made lasagna for my newlywed hubby (I was 20) I did not have the entire grip on ANYTHING.  The recipe I followed said, "2 cloves of garlic."  I did not know that a clove was part of the bulb.  I put 2 BULBS of garlic in it.  It was actually good, but we and our dinner party guests smelled funky for DAYS!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-13-2013 - 10:24pm

I must have been click happy when I posted...lol.

That IS a lot of garlic!  I'd love it though, I can't get enough garlic.  I was the same way when I started cooking for hubby.  I knew NOTHING.  I'm going to make sure my girls and the new baby will know how to cook the basic's at least.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 7:05pm

I intended to have Nicki "kitchen ready" in her teens, but she would have no part of learning anything that had to do with cooking.  Even though I had restaurants!  My son, on the other hand, LOVED to be in the kitchen and is a very good cook.  He took a job offshore cooking on an oil rig.  You have to be good to get that gig!  

Nicki has become a very accomplished cook and I make sure she has all the tools for total success.  I spoil her on Mother's Day with her kitchen wish list!

My lasagna came out good!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 11:30am
Your recipe sounds great.. I have to say I make it similar to yours here, * I stopped cooking the noodles long ago.. Thought it was a waste of time.. Misty I love garlic to and believe its a great home remedy..
<