What are you doing with your leftovers? (Let's share ideas!)

iVillage Member
What are you doing with your leftovers? (Let's share ideas!)
Tue, 12-27-2011 - 12:20pm

I was browsing the web today and ran across Jamie Oliver's site with leftover recipes. His leek and turkey pie looked good, but I don't have all the ingredients. I think I'm going to do a turkey pot pie instead.

Yesterday we had leftover ham that I made into ham, potato & green bean soup using this recipe.

And, of course, iVillage has some great ideas too...

http://www.ivillage.com/recipes-thanksgiving-leftovers-brunch/3-b-56104
http://www.ivillage.com/how-use-leftover-ingredients/3-b-54788

I think I'm going to make the kids some mac & cheese with ham for a quick lunch ~ http://www.ivillage.com/super-cheesy-stove-top-macaroni-and-cheese-ham-0/3-r-60967

How about you? What are your plans for all the leftovers?

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader

My daughter brought some friends over yesterday and they polished off most of what I had left except for some ham. I too am going to throw some into some mac and cheese and then will make omelets for breakfast and that should be the end of my leftovers. ;-)

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

iVillage Member
I have no idea! My in-laws sent us a Honey Baked Ham for Christmas, and I still have tons left over. I will chop up some to freeze to use later on, and need to turn it into one more meal this week. I've never made ham soup before, might have to try that. Thanks for the recipes, I need to take a look at them. I'm always looking for good mac-n-cheese recipes, but not in the mood for that this week since I made au gratin potatoes for dinner on Christmas. What's everyone else doing with their ham?

Chelsea

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."

iVillage Member
karla1842 wrote:

My daughter brought some friends over yesterday and they polished off most of what I had left except for some ham. I too am going to throw some into some mac and cheese and then will make omelets for breakfast and that should be the end of my leftovers. ;-)

LOL!! Same here except I have boys so between them and their friends, they can REALLY plow through some food! DH just pulled out some turkey soup he had frozen made from

iVillage Member
Lucky! I have a feeling that our leftovers are going to last much longer!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
That's what we had too - ham & au gratin potatoes!

I also saw a recipe for ham & leek risotto in the One Pot cookbook I got for Christmas. It looked pretty good. This isn't the exact one, but it looked similar. I think it had peas in it too.

http://talesfromakitchen.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/leek-ham-risotto/

It would also be good in a creamy potato soup, maybe with broccoli and cheese too!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
I didn't host, but I did make a ham, and brought home the leftovers from that. I'll probably save some of the ham for potatoes au gratin, and then use the ham bone for potato and ham soup next week!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
I was looking online for recipes last night and found a good one for ham and potato soup. I just need to go to the store for celery! My dh won't eat it, so I'll freeze it for lunches, yummy :) I take back what I said about making mac-n-cheese this week, my dh has requested it. I'm going to try the recipe you posted.

Chelsea

iVillage Member
I forgot to mention that I'm planning on dicing up whatever I have leftover and freezing it for later use.

Chelsea

iVillage Member
Do you think your daughter's friends could come to my house and eat all of these leftover cookies and candy we have?

Chelsea

iVillage Member
I made it yesterday for lunch, but cheated and used boxed mac & cheese. Dh bought a ton of it, so I needed to use some up...plus it's just quicker on days that I'm working. I did mix in the ham, spread it on a pan and top with grated Gruyere and bread crumbs. DD declared it "The World's Best Mac & Cheese!" :-)
Photobucket

Pages