What are your favorite three herbs?

iVillage Member
What are your favorite three herbs?
Mon, 03-11-2013 - 5:21pm

I have three copper (I think?) containters that sit on a tray that I've been using as a decoration up until now.  Lately, I've been using a lot of recipes that call for fresh herbs, so this spring I'm going to plant three different varieties to keep in the greenhouse window behind my kitchen sink.   I already have rosemary planted outside, and it stays green all year round, so doubt I'll plant any in the house but still a possiblity :)

I'm curious to see what three herbs you would plant or that you use the most in cooking?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 6:40am

I use a lot of basil and usually grow that each summer.   I was given a sage plant last fall so that is in the garden too.   Not sure how much I will use that one.   I use a lot of thyme so that would be a good one to grow.   I also have a lot of mint.   We use that in iced tea or lemonade.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 11:32am

I use a lot of garlic, cayenne and lemon zest in my recipes.   Tongue Out

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 2:23pm

Rosemary is my first, but since you already have that planted, that does not help, does it?

Basil is my next favorite, followed by chives and oregano. Thyme and sage are also fantastic and used in so many things! We eat a lot of Italian and Mexican food, so my spices tend to be things that favor those types of dishes.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 4:55pm
I'm pretty sure I'll do basil and thyme for sure, those are the two that I seem to use more of fresh. I have mint planted outside, so probably won't do that. I don't know how much I would use sage either. Maybe I'll plant a small rosemary just because I like the way it smells!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 4:57pm
I'm still tempted to plant rosemary, I love how it smells.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 7:27pm

Basil, rosemary, and garlic chives.  I try to have cilantro but it is too hot here so the cilantro bolts.  

Tracy, have you ever crushed basil in your tea or water?

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 03-18-2013 - 4:43pm
Hello Melissa, I myself live in Central NY so here I plant thyme, parsley oregano,rosemary, basil and garlic maybe a few others I can't remember off hand but MY favorite over all of them is "garlic" I love it.. Then I would say rosemary is a great mood plant for me.. I think you have a great idea with planting them ..
<
Community Leader
Mon, 03-18-2013 - 8:55pm

Basil, Rosemary and mints.  But it is hard to grow any herbs up here except in pots in the house and them I have to fight with spider mites and they usually win.    Oh yes and cilantro in which I have some started now that are just starting to take off.  I usually have mint plants that I keep in the house through the winter as well. 
I did have a Bay Laurel tree growing in the house that I picked the leaves off of for soups and stews but last year I let it die because I did not take care of it.   I was going through some funk or something and did not care about anything.

Photobucket