What can I make with a ham bone?

Community Leader
What can I make with a ham bone?
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 6:45pm

My in-laws sent us a delicious honey baked ham for Christmas and we had it last night for dinner.  I now have this really meaty ham bone in the refrigertor that I would like to use in a recipe.  I've been searching the web and haven't quite found one that sounds good.  I thought a white bean and ham soup sounded good but most of the recipes either don't use the ham bone or don't look appetizing.  Do you have any good recipes I can try?

Photobucket

Community Leader
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 7:45pm

White beans is EXACTLY where I would go!  We're talking dry beans here.  Soaking is up to you, I don't do it.  Get a big pot, a bag of beans, toss in that ham bone and a diced onion and 2 diced carrots, cold water, salt and pepper...and put it on to boil.  When it gets boiling, hold it at a simmer.  I like mine stove top and uncovered, you may need to add water, keep an eye on it.  No scorching! 

I first used the Easter ham bone with white beans as a 20 year old newlywed.  I dumped a 2 lb bag of beans into a pot, and went out to the garden.  When I came back in, there were beans spilling out of the pot EVERYWHERE, so I grabbed another pot, split the beans up, and added water...In the end, I had SIX POTS of BEANS!  So my adoring new hubby got on the phone and called every hungry bachelor he KNEW, and we had a party.  With cornbread and bean soup.  

My ex husband and I used to go to the local truck stop for white beans and ham, made with hocks or the bones, and he LOVED to find a piece of ham in the bean soup, call out the owner, and say, "Harry, your string broke again.  The piece of ham is in my bowl!"  We accused Harry of making a HUGE pot of beans and dragging one piece of ham through it...LOL, there was actually a LOT of ham in beans and Harry took it as the joke we intended.  

MAKE WHITE BEANS!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 8:03pm

you can make white beans and rice.  1lb white navy beans, 1 small onion diced fine, ham bone, salt to taste. put it all in a large pot or dutch oven, fill with water add 1 stick of butter and bring to a boil. 2 choices here either let it boil , stir often and add water as needed, until beans are tender and liquid is thick. OR bring to a boil and turn to medium high, stir often until beans are tender and liquid is thick.  Serve over rice.  second way takes all day .  First way half a day.

you can do the same with red beans except you will need to add 2 table spoons of each of the following; ground marjoram, sage, parsely, rosemary, and thyme.  optional for heat you can add 1 table spoon cayenne and/or crushed red pepper flakes.  No butter for red beans.

siggy line

Community Leader
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 8:10pm

HELLO, other Karen!  I like your recipe.  If there is really a recipe for beans, LOL!  My first restaurant was in Cajun country and the red beans and rice are a STAPLE in my life.  I think we have the same passion!  

Welcome to the board, don't forget to come back by!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 10:12pm

Split pea soup!  YUM.  We use the recipe from the old Joy of Cooking cookbook I received as a wedding gift in 1967.   My kids and I used to make it during snow days when we were all stuck indoors.  Ham bones are best, but I would buy a couple hocks and put them in the freezer so I could make pea soup whenever....

Great with home-made biscuits or cornbread.

Community Leader
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 1:27pm
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies, looks like I need to hit the grocery store for some supplies!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 1:28pm

I always make ham and potato soup out of my ham bones.

Get as much of the meat off as you can, cover the bone in a soup pot with water and boil a couple hours.  Remove the bone and add in some chopped russet potatoes and a couple chopped yellow or white onions, salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer until the potatoes and onions are cooked through and add back the ham meat.  Add a couple cups of milk and a stick of butter.  Heat, and done!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 1:55pm

I'm with you, Gaye, I keep ham hocks in the freezer, along with keilbasa, just in case I need a fix of red beans and rice!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 3:33pm
I make beans or split pea soup with mine.. I love the flavor.. I use to use the stove but now I use a crock pot for mine.. I use fresh beans that I soak over night before I start the crock pot part I want them softer before I add the to the crock.. I enjoy beans and I freeze the also for later use.. Any kind of bean can be used... You also can make a soup with the bone too.. add the bone to water and a little salt n celery, carrots and garlic to it.. then add other things you like in your soup.. Great thoughts on the bone ideas here..
<
Community Leader
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 3:34pm
LOOKS like a lot of us are into the restaurant ownership or worked in them... Even I had one once upon a time... sure was fun ...
<