What is for Christmas Dinner?

Community Leader
What is for Christmas Dinner?
Mon, 12-17-2012 - 7:49pm

What's for Christmas dinner?  My grandson Aaron has requested demanded venison.  So we are hedging between a roast or steaks. Last year we did bacon wrapped filets.  I've already started on the cornbread and whole wheat dressing, which is a MUST no matter WHAT we have.  I don't want sweet potatoes this year (and good luck to me getting THAT approved by my daughter).  I want potatoes that we can eat with GRAVY!!!!  I want to do my infamous corn, and some green beans. And we always have LOTS of fruit.  

Or maybe I'll just make a pizza...LOL, I'd get run out of town for that!  Although I used to INSANE holiday menus when I had my restaurants.  I'd be SOOOO sick of the standard fare, by the time I got to our meal at home, it was always a surprise!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-17-2012 - 8:49pm

New York Strip Loin Roast

Roaseted potatoes and onions

Streamed asparagus

Artisan greens with marinated peppers, artichole hearts, cherry tomatoes and black olives

Seeduction Rolls

Naan

Buche de Noel

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 2:28am
Hey pizza makes a great Christmas dinner, my family certainly enjoyed it a few years in a row. This year my mom is fixated on doing a more traditional meal (at least that is what she says), but I'd be perfectly happy with one of those Marie Callendar's pot pies. So far her menu will include cornbread dressing, either chicken or turkey, probably green beans, yams, and pumpkin pie.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
Community Leader
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 5:46pm
Christmas will be a bit different this year.. * dh works nights so we are planning on a supper meal.. So they all can sleep in if they like and I can do all my exercising way before the time its usually not able to do.. Our meal will be Great as Usual.. Prime Rib, mashed potatoes, gravy, yorkshire pudding, peas and carrots, creamed onions and rolls, due to some do not like yorkshire...It took me a long time to get the yorkshire down pat but I sure can make it now... * pies: lemon meringue, and strawberry cream...
<
Community Leader
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 5:48pm
We also have had vension long ago.. its delicious but dh love prime rib... so its roast... I love pizza so we eat that a few days before hand so we won't crave it... Have a Merry Christmas Kroni... Enjoy your day and family..
<
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-19-2012 - 8:04am

I do like some venison, but not enough to want it for a holiday meal.

We will have spaghetti and meatballs for Christmas Eve.   I homemake the sauce and I love it.   We'll do that with salad and garlic bread.   Tiramisu for dessert.

Christmas night is almost the same as Thanksgiving, but for a pork tenderloin instead of a ham.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

Community Leader
Thu, 12-20-2012 - 7:39pm

I'm heading for your house, Gaye!  Sounds wonderful!  Do you make the naan?  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-21-2012 - 10:22pm
Wow, it looks like I ca finally post!! We're going to my sister's early Christmas Eve for turkey dinner ad ham, my favorite! Best part is, I only have to make deviled eggs, bring a pie that I've already made, and maybe some cookies. We eat so early though, that by the time we get home later we're hungry again. Last year we did take and bake pizza, might to that again. I haven't talked to DH about it yet. Christmas day we got to my MIL's for prime rib. Her sides are lacking, tasteless and prime rib is NOT my favorite. So, I'll fill up on veggies there and probably eat left over pizza when we get home!! =D

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 4:43pm

Yorkshire pudding is a variation on popovers, we had a whole lesson on those a couple years ago on 101 and everyone made great popovers.  I like this tutorial from Alton Brown, incomplete but this is Yorkshire pudding in individual servings.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0VA8F4avmk

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 4:46pm

Yay!  Misty is posting!  Now we need everyone else.  Baby girl, your dinner sounds good.  DD and I went through the menu tonight, we only have one decision to make and it will be GREEN BEANS...

deer steak, mashed taters, romaine salad with cranberries and pecans, spaghetti squash something (or maybe butternut), dressing, gravy...and that unidentified green veggie (it will be green beans, I AM the boss of this family)

I just love being the grand matriarch.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 10:48pm
I just might like Yorkshire Pudding. I'll have to try that! I still make popovers regularly. Green Beans are one of my favorites, and I love to make it with bacon pieces and dressed with bacon grease! Yum! My MIL made some last Christmas with balsamic, almond slices, maybe onion? I don't remember, but I'm going to have to remember to ask her for the recipe. I am not a deer fan. I grew up eating it, my mom even canned it. But I can't stomach it now, I can eat elk stew but that is about all the wild meat I can take.

~Misty~

Pages