What to cook for my lunchbox?

Community Leader
What to cook for my lunchbox?
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 9:19pm

I'm in the mood for fish, and I have laid out 4 small pieces of ocean perch to thaw.  I have potatoes, jasmine rice and angel hair pasta that sound nice as sides, so decisions...decisions!  I think I will fry 2 pieces of fish, to have with potatoes, and grill 2 pieces.  But for the grilled fish, pasta or rice pilaf?  Or should I poach the fish in some veggie sauce (my son's favorite) and let it tell me what it wants?  

How often do you eat fish and how do you like to prepare it?

I ask this because of the clamp down on commerical fishing limits that are on the way, and I wonder how expensive fish will get as a result.  I remember college days; the cheapest thing I could eat was fish.  At 19 cents a pound, I ate a LOT of fish.  To put it in perspective, ground beef was about 79 cents a pound, and a dozen eggs ran about 59 cents.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 10:40am

I'm a bit of a fish snob.  My family vacations growing up were staying in a cabin in Canada (I'm from the Midwest) playing and fishing for a week.  That would put a lot of blue gill and perch in the freezer.  My dad still loves to fish and when we run low, I just tell them I need more.  I just recently bought fish (swai) at the store, because Tracy gave it high reviews.  I was looking for something to bake as opposed to always having it pan fried or deep fried.  I don't think fish sticks and the fast food sandwiches count as fish.  I've never caught a fish that was square!  lol

I baked the swai with an egg wash and cracker crumb dredge.  My clan thought it was edible, but we still prefer our fresh water fishies!

photo PinkUmbrella_zps59410ee1.jpg

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-03-2013 - 8:44am

We have been eating a lot of fish because I have been trying to lose weight. I am glad my kids love fish. The only one I really don't care for is salmon. I have been getting swai at the grocery. It's a mild whitefish, described as an Asian catfish.

When I cook it I do one of 2 ways: I either rub each filet in olive oil, season with seasoned salt, paprika, and a sprinkle of lemon pepper, or lemon juice, or Cajun seasoning. I either wrap those in foil packets and grill them or I put them on a baking sheet and bake on 350° for about 15 minutes (turing at halfway point). Or I rub them in olive oil and then dredge them through Panko. When I do that I add dry seasoning to the Panko like Cajun blend, Asian blend, or Mrs. Dash. Just whatever I am in the mood for. Then I bake.

Mmmm..... love fish. I wish I could afford more of it. It's crazy expensive.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-22-2013 - 2:43pm

We rarelt eat fisk.  My DD'd don't like it, only the younger one likes fish sticks.  DH will eat fish sticks, and raw tuna, but that doens't count!

I love cod, hallibut and blue hake.  I actually cook it in the mocrowave most of the time, but also in foil in the oven.  I add shoyu, lemon pepper seasoning, lots of butter and dill.  I like fish breaded in a beer batter with tartar sauce once in a while.  

I can't stand bass or trout.  When my dad and hubby would bring them home from a fishing trip, I'd stay far far away.  Nasty fishy fish!

~Misty~