What do I do to my rolls??

iVillage Member
What do I do to my rolls??
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 4:05pm

I have tried several recipes for Yeast Rolls.

~Misty~

Pages

Community Leader
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 7:51pm

Wow, Misty, you are really HIGH!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 10:11pm
Hehehe Karen!! You always make me laugh!

Ahh hah!! You confirmed my suspicions. It is very sticky, even the biscuits are a bit stickier than I think it should be, so I have been adding flour to those also. So, I'm anxious to make another batch and using more flour and kneeding it more. I remember how my mom's dough would look, elastic and smooth. Mine, sticky and not smoothe at all. So...more flour, more kneeding...if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the vinegar!

Thanks AGAIN Karen!!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sun, 11-20-2011 - 11:04pm
You are so welcome, baby girl! You ARE my adopted daughter!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 11:49am
Love it! I really wish I lived closer, I'd kill to spend a day in the kitchen with you. Actually, it would take more than one day...lol.

My DD6 is really getting interested in cooking. She wants to watch FoodNetwork more often than I do, and she is always wanting to help me in the kitchen. She's been writing her own recieps, kind of cute. She is going to help me on Thanksgiving, so I've allowed more time to get things done...lol. But it's going to be fun having someone cooking with me. DH and I can't even be IN the kitchen at the same time...lol.

I've never really allwed her to really help before, besides making cookies for holidays. I was always afraid of her getting hurt, but I think it's time for her to learn how to use a knife, how to act around a hot stove. etc. She is smart...her teacher said that in his 42 years old teaching, she's the most advanced for her age he's ever seen. =D Had to brag a bit!!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 9:13pm

Brag on!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 10:11pm
My mom always encouraged me to cook, but I never wanted to until I got much older. I'd make cake, cookies etc., but no real savory cooking. She was eager to cook FOR me though, and those first few years DH and I were out on our own, he suffered through a LOT of coking disasters and just plain icky stuff. We ate a lot of hamburger helper and ramen. DH was actually much better than I was, he had ot do a lot of cooking for himself growing up. But we both sure looked forward to Fridays, when I would go to my mom's to do laundry (we didn't have a washer and dryer yet, and I refused to use the laundromat) and I'd stay for dinner, and when DH got off work (he worked 1 mile from my parent's house) he'd come over, and we'd get a good meal!

When I first started to really cook, I would call my mom daily...lol. She ended up giving me a lot of recipes, and then I'd write down her directions over the phone, and I still have a lot of her things that way. She never really had receips for the good stuff, so I'd write down what she told me. She said "until it looks right" or "until it feels right" a lot. I didn't get it then, but I do now. Or she'd say you can use this, or that, or whatever you have. I never cooked wtih my dad's mother, I rarely saw her, she was a standofish woman. My mom's mother always made gingerbread ment with me when we came to visit her, and I loved her cooking, but she was pretty old by the time I got old enough to be interested. She is 96 now. She's outlived my mom by 6 years so far.

I think DD is really interested right now because I've been cooking a lot this fall, and she likes watching cooking shows on TV, and really loves the Restaurant Impossible, I think she has a crush on Robert Irvine...lol. Either way, I'm glad she is showing an interest, and I'm more than happy to have her in the kitchen with me. She knows basic measurements, but we need to work on how to double. etc. DH says I go overboard trying to explain things sometimes. I see DD as a little me, and she is so smart, and mature beyond 6 years, sometimes I forget she is only 6...lol.

She is in first grade, and is reading at a 6th grade level! So, reading a recipe is easy. I'm going to make it my goal this winter to cook with her as often as I can.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 8:41pm
BRAVO! Please feel free to ask any "Hannah" questions!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-24-2011 - 10:32pm

Hannah was so excited to help me cook this year.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-25-2011 - 5:09am

One odd tip but does work wonders to make bread fluffy,

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-25-2011 - 4:53pm
y mom used ot make potato bread, I wonder if this is about the same thing? I might have to try that! My goal is to make graet rolls for Christmas!

I love you black kitty pic! I used to have a black cat named Bear. Had him for 17 years, he was the best. DH gave him to me on my 16th birthday.

~Misty~

Pages