What do you put in your fruit salad?

Community Leader
What do you put in your fruit salad?
Wed, 06-18-2014 - 1:11pm

I am wanting to try some different combinations of fruit salad but need some ideas. What do you put in yours?

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2014 - 2:48pm

I like to keep things simple and be able to taste the fruit!

Real ambrosia - just sliced oranges and grated fresh coconuts, maybe a few bananas or pineapple, but never marshmallows or other icky stuff.

Mecedonia di fruitta - just cut up seasonal fruit with a bit of lemon juice and some wine.

Minted melon/grapefruit - melon balls or grapefruit sections with crushed mint and/or mint liqueur.  The grapefruit may need a little bit of sugar.

Balsamic strawberries - as the name suggested, strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and a slight touch of sugar if needed.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2014 - 4:04pm

I haven't made fruit salad in a long time, but something I've been wanting to try: watermelon and feta cheese. It's supposed to be wonderful. http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/watermelon-feta-salad/

Looks FANTASTIC!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2014 - 4:30am

For a quick potluck dish, I take a can fruitcocktail, drain it, a couple of sliced up bananas, a apple & cool whip. (Hold 1 banana back for the top) or I do a ton of fresh fruits with cool whip. There usually isn't any that makes it way back to the house (I use the cool whip is I'm lactose intolerant)

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2014 - 12:25pm

Nice! I had no idea there were so many variations of fruit salads.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2014 - 12:30pm
I've never put anything in fruit salad but fruit....but I am trying the watermelon feta one....I like to have at least one melon type fruit, one berry type fruit, and one 'round' fruit - apple, peach, pear, etc. to me, the more people you are making it for, the better the salad because you can use lots of fruit. When I was about seven, I went to a cookout where someone had hollowed out a watermelon to make a basket for the fruit salad and to me, that remains the height of elegance! I like to make it a few hours ahead so all the different fruit juices mix together. And I seldom use citrus fruit because although I love almost all fruits, I am not big on oranges...
Community Leader
Thu, 06-19-2014 - 4:09pm

happysj56 wrote:
I've never put anything in fruit salad but fruit....but I am trying the watermelon feta one....I like to have at least one melon type fruit, one berry type fruit, and one 'round' fruit - apple, peach, pear, etc. to me, the more people you are making it for, the better the salad because you can use lots of fruit. When I was about seven, I went to a cookout where someone had hollowed out a watermelon to make a basket for the fruit salad and to me, that remains the height of elegance! I like to make it a few hours ahead so all the different fruit juices mix together. And I seldom use citrus fruit because although I love almost all fruits, I am not big on oranges...

My mom made the watermelon basket salad thing one year when I was younger. I've always said I was going to do it again, but it's a lot of work and you need a lot of fruit to do the balling. Too much effort when I'm hosting (I tend to go overboard, lol). I'd love to try it to bring somewhere though. :) 

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2014 - 12:21pm

I have seen the watermelon basket of fruit on a few cruises I have been on and I thought it was so impressive. I would love to try something like that but wouldn't know where to begin.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2014 - 9:32pm

Just search "carve watermelon basket" on YouTube.  In fact, just about anything is on YouTube these days!  ;-)

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2014 - 3:19am

Yes that is yummy.  I have a bit of black pepper on mine.

I also love to add mango or nectarines to my  chicken sallad.

But sweet  fruit sallads,   loquat ,  apriums or apricot ,  nectarine,  doughnut peaches and strawberries  mixed with lemonbalm and mint and just let it set for  a while.. Yummy with Greek yogurt.

Community Leader
Sun, 06-22-2014 - 11:30am
it depends on what type of fruit salad I am making.. it could be just fruit alone and I would use what was in season.. Or it could be a marshmallow, pudding & fruit in the salad I know my family loves them all.. I do love eating fruit...
<

Pages