What size is your crock?

Community Leader
What size is your crock?
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 2:06pm

Hi!

It's that time of year for me (I only use my crock in the fall/winter for some reason, lol) and I need a new crockpot. Looking for some suggestions. I currently have a 5qt and need a bit bigger. But I'm wondering if 6 would do it or if I should just go for 8? And if I go for 8 and only fill it as a 6-7, does that play into cooking time?

I'm currently cooking 4 2" thick pork chops with apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. I can't wait until 5:30! LOL

Community Leader
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 7:26pm
Well in this house I have 4 of them 2 of them are small ones and 2 are larger ones I love them all...I sometimes have more than one going all the time here.. I agree with fall and winter coming soon I to use them more during that time.... I think or no matter what one you use it will use the same electric .. slow cooker ... Just takes the work out of watching it all the time...
<
Community Leader
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 9:32pm

LOL, what happened to "It's the size of your deck that counts?'  

I HATE what my crocks give me.  But I have a 3, a 6, a 1 1/2, and a 4 1/2.  I'm not a big crock fan because not much benefits from 10-11 hours in the crock and I commute to Memphis for work everyday. So right now I'm trying to do something with some pork shoulder that is drier than the Sahara after coming out of my crock.  My 6 qt is programmable but it cooks too hot.  The best is my 3 qt (wedding gift, 1975) which cooks slower and lower, but is a ROYAL PAIN to clean with the crock not removable.  

I was reading my food newsletters tonight and they were full of crock casserole recipes.  Most I looked at made me say "Why???"  because they were full of precooked ingredients and could be on the table in 10 minutes (nukker) as opposed to a 4 1/2 trip through the crock.  I can't see running a crock for 4 1/2 hours just to melt cheese and heat through.  

I love my crocks for entertaining, though.  They will keep the food hot and not be in the way on the stove.  

Crocks are pretty cheap these days.  Buy both?

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 4:23pm

Smileycons!   I have two crocks.  A big one and a smaller one and I don't use them enough in my own opinion. 

I am always wanting new stuff all the time.   Had pizza yesterday and the rest went into the freezer.  I'm wanting to make something new today.  But what?  I'll have to look and see what I want to make.  It's getting to the season of soups and stews.  Made some home made bread yesterday.  I would make some cinnamon rolls but I end up eating all of them myself and I can not stop eating them. I am addicted to them so I don't make them much. hahahahaha

Well bye bye now  I'm going to go now and do something and maybe come back later today.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 2:08pm

Honestly I've been thinking about all those pinterest freezer cooking meals, like this one: http://mamaandbabylove.com/2012/02/09/freezer-cooking-with-slow-cooker-recipes-faq-page/

Anyway, I think maybe I'll get the 8 since I have a 5. Then I'll have the two. :smileyhappy:

Oh and I never, ever use it while I'm not home, lol. My friend's crock caught fire. :smileysad:

Community Leader
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 2:09pm
antoni_kenwa wrote:

Smileycons!   I have two crocks.  A big one and a smaller one and I don't use them enough in my own opinion. 

I am always wanting new stuff all the time.   Had pizza yesterday and the rest went into the freezer.  I'm wanting to make something new today.  But what?  I'll have to look and see what I want to make.  It's getting to the season of soups and stews.  Made some home made bread yesterday.  I would make some cinnamon rolls but I end up eating all of them myself and I can not stop eating them. I am addicted to them so I don't make them much. hahahahaha

Well bye bye now  I'm going to go now and do something and maybe come back later today.

Hahahaha. I'd eat them all too. I saw a recipe for blueberry ones. OMG. LOL

Community Leader
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 3:44pm

A flaming crock pot?  Now I'm going to be afraid to leave mine!  Which is probably a good idea since I don't like the results if I leave it cooking while I'm at work.  

Those recipes on Pinterest look interesting but I'm not sure I'd put that much effort into something that will basically wind up being all the same.  But I'm not much on "casserole" style dishes.  I love my veggies, but I like them steamed or roasted, and I like meats grilled or roasted.  My freezer is a huge danger zone; it's a cold black hole.  I can't identify half of what I have stuck in there.  LOL!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 2:40am

Mine is large, about a gallon in size and cost us  about 14 dollar. I mostely use it to cook jams and applesauce, it great for that.

Community Leader
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 11:56pm

Ohhhhhhhhhh.  Blueberry ones?????  Gotta have. Care to share?  The recipe I mean.  
Thank you and Hugs,

Photobucket