What is something you can use instead of...

Community Leader
What is something you can use instead of...
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 12:19pm

Parmasan cheese. I have tried and tried to eat that stuff and every cook on tv top things off with it or add it to their recipe....but I can't. I can't even be nice about it because it makes me sick to my stomach.... Asiago does the same thing. Funny because I have learned to tolerate other cheese like a little bit of the milder blues but those other 2 I just can't.

I usually go with Provalone or Mozz. But sometimes a little harder cheese is called for......are all the hard cheeses,,, I don't want to say bad because I don't like them but what are some other choices?

Thanks

Community Leader
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 11:05am

I don't know a whole lot about cheese but I thought Romano was parmasan.....lol....

We like Provalone on sandwiches....but I never thought about Swiss I know the Laughing Cow isn't true cheese or so they say but I like them...

I will get some of these cheeses mentioned.....I live in an area that really don't have a lot of choices....I was just suprised that they got the "fresh" mozz....here.

Thanks everyone I will give these a try.....

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 10:36pm
I think it would depend on what you are supposed to be sprinkling with parmesan. I might try feta for the saltiness, though it is a much softer cheese. Manchego is a hard Spanish cheese, I finally tried it recently & really liked it. Myzithra is a hard Greek cheese, I haven't tried that one, but it might work. Flavored bread crumbs are a possibility.
There are tons of different cheeses out there, each with their own uniqueness to them...experiment!

Community Leader
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 8:46pm

If parmesan is giving you issues, you don't want Romano or Asiago.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 12:30pm
Gouda is another one
<
Community Leader
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 12:26pm
have you tried Romano?
Or swiss
<