Where do you get recipes?

iVillage Member
Where do you get recipes?
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 12:58pm

I have been looking through online sites for recipes and am completely overwhelmed over what to look for and how to choose something. A friend of mine suggested getting some recipe books on specific foods such as soups and stews, meats or side dishes as it might be a little simpler. What do you do? 

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 1:27pm

Hi! I have an old cookbook that I use, but really I check out pinterest. I'm very much a visual person, so if something appeals to me on there, then I'll either take that recipe or I'll google it and find different ones. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 2:06pm

I collect old cookbooks, but honestly, for years now, all I do with them, is read them.  I get all my recipes off the web.  The simplest way  to begin, is to start with ingredients you have.  So search for "pork" recipies.  Or search for "pork, onion, carrot recipes".  Or look for genres that interest you, like Tex-Mex, Asian, or Cajun.  As your friend suggested, you can look for soups, stews, etc, but narrow it by including ingredients you have on hand, or that you actually LIKE to eat.

Community Leader
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 7:39pm

I get them from a variety of sources. I have cookbooks, everything from the classic Joy of Cooking---which is great for "how to" learn to perform specific cooking procedures---to all vegetarian recipes to fairly specific books like all fish recipes. Then I get a couple of food magazines, Cooking Light and Eating Well, both are full of healthy recipes and usually have a theme of the month. I also find recipes in other magazines...even the Oprah magazine has some each month.

I use a couple of recipe web sites regularly: MyRecipes.com and Cooking.com. I find MyRecipes to be easier to use (especially for saving recipes) and it has a large searchable database of recipes from several magazines (including Cooking Light) plus user submissions. You can sign up for emails for different kinds of recipes (like Dinner Tonight or a daily dessert recipe etc). Sometimes the search is based on what I want to cook, and sometimes by ingredients I need to use up. A nice feature is that many recipes will have user reviews where you can get some great tips on how to make the recipe, substitutions, etc. Since you are learning to cook you might like that some of the recipes have an instructional video.

If I don't find a recipe I like there then I'll do an internet search and often end up at Epicurious.com, FoodNetwork.com or AllRecipes.com. MarthaStewart.com is great for seasonal things, like winter greens. I have a bookmark folder on my computer for recipes and I used to print whatever one I intended to make. Now I have a tablet so I email the link to myself and prop up the tablet in the kitchen. 

There are also tons of food blogs, but like you said, it can get overwhelming and use hours of your time. 

As for how to choose, read the recipe to see if you like the ingredients, and then if the method sounds like something you know how to do, want to do, or have the tools required. I don't care for fried food so that rules out some recipes; I don't have a stand mixer; when its hot I'm not going to want to run the oven for very long if at all; if a recipe requires a lot of prep vs quick to put together and how much time I have for cooking that night. (Most recipes will say how long is needed for the prep, and how long for actual cooking. The prep almost always takes me longer than it says, and I've been cooking for over 40 years, so you should figure it will take you longer--until you know for sure if you are fast or slow with prep).

Hope this helps.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2014 - 9:09pm
I have handwritten recipes in a recipe box that my mother gave me one year when money was really tight for her...probably the best give she ever gave me as she included special notes on some of them. I use those for old favorites. I also have a lot of cookbooks that came from both grandmothers (some in Swedish). I love these as 'women's history' - some still have bookmarks in them placed by their hands. I use some traditional family recipes from those. And they are fascinating as a way to show how easy my life is...for example, I never have to 'pluck' a chicken before roasting it! But now, if I want to cook something, I put in the ingredients I have in mind in Google, and then read a few recipes. I especially like when there are comments with variations, and also when there are pictures for techniques. I often make my own variation using spices from a few different recipes. A mistake I make is to not bookmark recipes I like and then I am not always sure what I did last time so my successes are not always repeatable.
Community Leader
Fri, 05-02-2014 - 6:48pm

Hmmm, I get them anywhere and everywhere.  I have quite a collection of cookbooks and cooking magazines I read all the time.  Plus I'm always looking on the net at food sites and recipes.  I should just stick with my cookbooks as I have so many.
Happy cooking...... 

Photobucket

Community Leader
Wed, 05-07-2014 - 1:57pm

Everywhere!  I have tons of cookbooks, but my first go-to is the internet.  I spend a lot of time looking at YouTube videos on cooking (there are tons!) and I have found many other video cooking sources.  I like to watch episodes of America's Test Kitchen online, as well as BYUTV's Chef Brad Fusion Grain Cooking.  I like the videos because I don't need the measurements; I just need a picture in my head of the technique.  GOSH, I can't remember the last time I USED a recipe.  I have recipe boxes from 3 generations of cooks, handwritten and clipped from newspapers.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2014 - 2:31pm

http://www.cookingandme.com/2012/11/chicken-thoran-dry-chicken-thoran-recipe.html

http://thepioneerwoman.com/

http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

I find these places have good and working recipes and I tend to use them when  I dont use one of 200 cookbooks I have home or call  my father or my  father in law.