Why can't I make pancakes?

iVillage Member
Why can't I make pancakes?
Tue, 08-26-2014 - 12:10pm

I need help. I want to make good pancakes. Whenever I make them, I either burn them or they are too oily. I've tried butter, oil, spray...they always turn out awful. Please help me. I usually use bisquick mix, but I'm up for a change if it will help.

Thanks!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-26-2014 - 12:23pm

I personally don't like bisquick mix. I will typically use a premade mix where I just have to add water (or milk and an egg depending on how I am feeling).I spray with and olive oil spray and then heat up my skillet. Make sure your skillet is hot before you spoon your mix in. Wait until your pancake is bubbly in the middle before flipping.

Good luck

Community Leader
Tue, 08-26-2014 - 2:44pm

I've never used Bisquick for pancakes, I've had good results with Aunt Jemima or Trader Joe's brand or making them from scratch. It sounds like you have the skillet too hot? I set the heat at medium, when a drop of water skitters around its hot enough. Then I spray some Pam. The first time is one pancake to get the heat right, I always figure the first one will get tossed anyway. The heat often needs to get lowered slightly if making several batches, as the pan or griddle retains heat. Are they oily on the outside from too much oil in the pan, or inside from too much oil in the batter?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2014 - 5:03pm
I agree with the above post, make sure your skillet is warmed up, wait for pancakes to get bubbly before turning them. However, I always have issues with pancakes, I use a cast iron skillet and the skillet always gets to hot and smokes. My son has an electric skillet and he never has issues with pancakes, probably cause the temperature is regulated. Also use pancake mix instead of bisquit.
Get easy skin care recipes, skin care tips and advice at Complete Skin Care Therapy

Carol Belanger, author of
Community Leader
Thu, 08-28-2014 - 1:20pm
I am a bisquick girl, I grew up on it and still love it! There is no oil in the bisquick recipe, so unless you are putting a ton of spray oil in the pan, I can't imagine how it would be oily at all. I do also do quite a few gluten free vareties of pancakes often also. The key is like someone else said, make sure the pan is heated up well, and as soon as they start to bubble, flip them over. I also do use a cast iron pan, and once I am done with about 2-3 pancakes, I will turn the burned down to just warm so that it doesn't continue heating the pan too much since cast iron holds heat so well.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2014 - 1:57pm

I always cook pancakes on an electric griddle so I don't have to use any cooking spray or butter or oil.  I use Bisquick too.  When the pancackes start to bubble, then turn them over.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2014 - 2:31pm

I haven't used a premade mix for years so I can't speak for Bisquick v. others.  However, I found that using good ingredients and making pancakes from scratch is easy and gives me a lot more control over the texture.

Here's a great recipe I've used (with or without blueberries) - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/blueberry-buttermilk-pancakes-recipe2.html

With regard to heat - use a non-stick skillet in the beginning until you get more comfortable with the timing.  Other than that, use medium heat and a little bit of vegetable oil or butter.  If the skillet seems to be getting too hot, lower the temp down and then raise slowly as you're making the pancakes.

Good luck! Smile