Would this work with macaroni and cheese?

iVillage Member
Would this work with macaroni and cheese?
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 4:52pm

We are so busy with sports right now I thought about doing the following for dinner but not sure if it would work.  I usually make it with a roux base, milk/ half and half, and then various cheeses.  I cook the macaroni, add in the cheese sauce and then bake it.  I wanted to do all these prep steps this afternoon, and then put it in the refrigerator until my husband gets home so he can then pop in the oven.  Do you think the cheese sauce would get all icky and separate? 

Community Leader
Tue, 05-21-2013 - 6:05pm
Let us know how it comes out and what you thought of it.. I myself would make it and let it be It should work.
<
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-21-2013 - 6:02am
Just try, nothing will happen if you don't try.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-15-2013 - 1:57pm
Yes it did, thanks for your suggestions! I'll have to play around with it. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get home early enough one night to just make it all at once!

Community Leader
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 7:53pm

I think you'll be FINE doing it that way as long as the macaroni cools down well before the sauce goes on.  I used to prep lasagna ahead that way, and there is not much difference (pasta, cheese sauces).  

Here's another option, might not work for you, but you can keep the mac cold under a wet towel in the fridge, and keep the cheese sauce separately.  To reheat cheese sauce enough to mix with mac and go in the oven, whisk in a bit of very hot water to loosen it up.  Then combine and bake.  

Did that help any?

Photobucket