Yummy Clam Chowder

iVillage Member
Yummy Clam Chowder
Fri, 05-31-2013 - 9:30pm

Clam chowder is any of several chowders containing clams and broth. Along with the clams, diced potato is common, as are onions, which are occasionally sauteed in the drippings from salt pork or bacon. Celery is frequently used. Other vegetables are uncommon, but small carrot strips might occasionally be added, primarily for color. A garnish of parsley serves the same purpose. Bay leaves are also sometimes used as a garnish and flavoring. It is believed that clams were added to chowder because of the relative ease of harvesting them.
It is often served in restaurants on Fridays in order to provide a seafood option for those who abstain from meat every Friday, which once was a requirement for Catholics before liturgical changes in Vatican II. Though the period of strict abstinence from meat on Fridays was reduced to Lent, the year-round tradition of serving it on Fridays remains. 

Primary variants and styles

New England 
New England clam chowder is a milk- or cream-based chowder, commonly made with potatoes, onion, and clams. Including tomatoes is shunned; a 1939 bill making tomatoes in clam chowder illegal was introduced in the Maine legislature. It is occasionally referred to as Boston Clam Chowder in the Midwest.
It is usually accompanied with oyster crackers (similar to hardtack). Crown Pilot Crackers were a popular brand of cracker to accompany chowder, until the product was discontinued in 2008. Crackers may be crushed and mixed into the soup for thickener, or used as a garnish.

more

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-06-2013 - 4:20pm

I adore clam chowder (New England style).  Now you have me wanting some.  I rarely eat it because it's fattening.   Fattening, but fabulous.

Community Leader
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 1:58pm

SmileTracy there is probably a way to slim down the clam chowder recipe so that it still tastes good.  I'm always doing that to some recipes I find.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Fri, 06-14-2013 - 4:19pm

What makes clam chowder fattening is the butter in the roux and the cream.  I read a recipe today for a slimmed-down cream sauce for mac and cheese, and thought it would work with chowder as well.  The recipe uses low fat evaporated milk and a slurry of corn starch to achieve the thickening.  http://www.onlinecookingschool.com/school/courses/159/topics/1525?page_id=5259

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 3:38pm
Sounds good to me..
<
Community Leader
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 3:41pm
I to have made things that I change recipes to suit my taste plus less fattening.. I am a weight watcher who follows plan.. When we eat to much fat or grease in foods some of us do have issues with the grease.. So for this household I make the recipe my way.. IT still taste great.. Cooking or baking is what I call a science of traits...
<