Stockpiling 101 (but not in a creepy way)

iVillage Member
Stockpiling 101 (but not in a creepy way)
Mon, 04-16-2012 - 3:54pm

:smileyvery-happy: I know that "stockpiling" makes everyone think of Extreme Couponing, but it can be done in a more sane way...

Grocery Stockpiling 101: 10 Tips to Help You Get Started

Learn how to save money on groceries and keep your pantry fully stocked with tips from Kelly Hancock, author of Saving Savvy: Smart and Easy Ways to Cut Your Spending in Half and Raise Your Standard of Living...and Giving! and money-saving website Faithful Provisions

Read More - http://www.ivillage.com/how-stockpile/3-b-439058

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-16-2012 - 4:45pm
I've got a book in the house, my mom has it in her room now. It talks about this too, more from an emergency preparedness type of stand point though. Having "everything" you might need (food, medicines, clothes, shoes, umm, lots of other stuff to, lol) in case of any kind of emergency. Whether its the end of the world, or "just" a job loss, or serious injury that prevents someone from working for the long term.

My biggest issue with getting started with this is the space in the house to store things. You shouldn't store food items in the garage or attic, because of the extremes in temperatures there. So finding/making the room in a 3 bedroom house with 3 adults and soon 2 young kids is difficult.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 6:14am
That is also my problem. We have a small house, so I don't have room for a huge stock pile. I have a good stash of commonly used items, but I can't go too crazy. :)

Cindy Lou!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 9:49am

Same here - and I refuse to start putting metal shelving in my bedroom to hold a stash! :smileywink:

I have some plastic tubs in my walk in closet. They're not the huge storage tubs, but bigger than the shoebox size. One has enough toothpaste to last me a lifetime, one has deodorant for myself and DH, one with shampoo and conditioner and one is a mix of lotions and mouthwash. That's my only real stash and it fits nicely in the closet floor. I told DH to stop me if he starts finding toilet paper stashed in weird places. :smileylol:

Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 4:34pm
I love these ideas!

My biggest issue with stockpiling is finding the sales to create the stockpile. I'm still saving a ton by using coupons, but everything is so limited in quantities (one or two it seems) that I'm having a hard time really creating that stockpile as I use those one or two up right away.

Anyone else have that problem? If not, how are you creating your stockpile? Do you focus on getting a large number of one or two items each sale period? Do you find out that you are running out of those items before they go on sale again?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 6:25am
I think the extreme couponing craze is why there are such strict quantity limits now a days. I have a good stock pile of cereal right now. I had two weeks in a row that I had a store coupon combined with two manufacterers coupons. I also have enough toothpaste to last me for years. I also have a very full freezer and pantry shelves. But those are not stock piles, just one or two of certain items that I found great deals and coupons for.