Food Trends for 2012 - thoughts?

iVillage Member
Food Trends for 2012 - thoughts?
Thu, 12-29-2011 - 12:52pm

I saw this article via Twitter this morning and thought it was interesting for those of us who try to cook seasonal, local and sustainable foods. Of course, it's a UK site, so the same might not be true for us in the US.

Food for thought as trend for going local grows

Here are some of the main points...

1. THE biggest food and drink trend in 2012 will be a focus on authentic, local brands, with regional producers expected to see a boost in sales next year.

2. rising popularity of uplifting food and drink to improve people’s mood, including products to combat fatigue and boost concentration.

3. reduction in packaging to cut costs and become more environmentally friendly.

4. make, bake and grow your own.

5. foraging for mushrooms, berries and other free ingredients.

6. people investing more time and effort, but not necessarily money, into meal times to cheer themselves up.

7. a return to cookery books that have been left on the shelves as people look to get a return on their investment.

8. increase in food on the go as convenience remains a priority, although health is becoming an influential factor.

9. consumers will want everything on a budget, from healthy foods to indulgence and convenience.

10. food and drink pairing so that wines, beers, cocktails and spirits match different foods.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-29-2011 - 1:08pm

I've started cooking a lot more over the past few years, with more and more of our meals being from scratch as opposed to boxed or processed foods. We get a weekly produce box delivered, which is full of organic fruits and vegetables, usually local (depending on the time of year). So, many of the points really do fit nicely with our goals for the year. I don't think you'll find me foraging for mushrooms though!

1. THE biggest food and drink trend in 2012 will be a focus on authentic, local brands, with regional producers expected to see a boost in sales next year. Yes! Our produce delivery company offers a variety of other local products including cheeses, sauces, breads and more. I've started trying one new local product with each weekly delivery.

2. rising popularity of uplifting food and drink to improve people’s mood, including products to combat fatigue and boost concentration. I don't think I'll be looking for mood lifting foods, but I tend to believe that eating more vegetables and healthy foods naturally lifts mood.

3. reduction in packaging to cut costs and become more environmentally friendly. I'm always looking for no- or little-packaging foods and those that come in paper rather than plastic - especially plastic bags.

4. make, bake and grow your own. Definitely! We've learned a lot about gardening here in the mountains over the past two years, so we're planning to expand our garden this year. I've also started baking my own bread.

5. foraging for mushrooms, berries and other free ingredients. Hmmm...I've tried dandilion greens, but that's about it. I'm not opposed to foraging, I just don't have a lot of excess time.

6. people investing more time and effort, but not necessarily money, into meal times to cheer themselves up. The more I learn about cooking, the more I enjoy it and am proud of my accomplishments. I still don't ten to make things that are very involved or take a lot of time. Maybe I'll get there one day!

7. a return to cookery books that have been left on the shelves as people look to get a return on their investment. I've collected a few interesting cookbooks in the last few years. I hope to use them more this year.

8. increase in food on the go as convenience remains a priority, although health is becoming an influential factor. This one seems out of place to me. If we're going to spend more time growing, making and baking our own, why would there also be an increase in convenience foods? It also seems normal for the prices to be higher for these foods because we are not the ones spending the time making them. You pay for the convenience, right?

9. consumers will want everything on a budget, from healthy foods to indulgence and convenience. Being cheap frugal like I am, I do look for low prices, but I also know that it costs more for small, local farms to raise their produce or animals organically. In theory, I know I should be happy to pay more. In reality, I'm still working on that one!

10. food and drink pairing so that wines, beers, cocktails and spirits match different foods. This one I could take or leave. Neither DH nor I drink beer and he dislikes wine. I've never been a wine connoisseur, but I wouldn't be opposed to learning more about pairings.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-31-2011 - 7:50pm
Stay posted and I will reply when I am on the laptop, a wee bit too hard on the iPad with that many points lol....oh and have made no goals this 2012, apart from cleaning the floor and recovering from last nights New Years Eve party. The last load is in the dishwasher. I gave up cleaning up at 2.30am! Can't think past that at the moment .
SEASONAL COOKING