Butter-Pecan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Find a Conversation
|Fri, 02-01-2013 - 11:04am|
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Pierce each potato with a fork 3 to 4 times on each side. Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 8* minutes, turning after 4 minutes. Cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop pulp into a bowl. Mash pulp.
2. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Stir butter, milk, and salt into potato pulp. Top with pecans.
Variation 1 Maple Bacon Price per serving: $0.85 Prepare master recipe through step 1. Stir in 1 tablespoon softened butter, 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, and 4 teaspoons maple syrup. Top mashed sweet potato mixture with 1 1/4 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon (about 3 slices). Serves 4 (serving size: 1/2 cup) Calories 268; Fat 6.6g (sat 3.1g); Sodium 351mg
Variation 2 Chipotle-Lime Price per serving: $1.08 Prepare master recipe through step 1. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce, 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Serves 4 (serving size: 1/2 cup) Calories 193; Fat 0g (sat 0g); Sodium 227mg
Variation 3 Parmesan-Sage Price per serving: $1.05 Prepare master recipe through step 1. Stir in 1 tablespoon softened butter, 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage, 1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup), and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Serves 4 (serving size: 1/2 cup) Calories 233; Fat 4.9g (sat 3.1g); Sodium 328mg
*may take longer depending on wattage of your microwave