My Doctors Don't Agree on my Meds! What to Do?
Find a Conversation
|Fri, 03-29-2013 - 8:52pm|
I have been seeing a doc at my local low cost clinic since Jan. She is the first doc to dx me w/fibro after nearly 2 years of being ill. B/f that I was told it was all in my head and was ref to my local mental health clinic where the psych put me on Paxil. The doc at the low cost clinic can't prescribe ADs so she has requested me to get my psych to change me to Cymbalta instead.
The psych refuses to do so b/c my "mood is so much better" and this is after two tries including a letter from my other doc saying I have fibro w/CFS and need either Cymbalta or Effextor b/c Paxil is sedating and may be contributing to my fatigue. My psych refused again at a second appt and has now dropped me as a patient, I believe as a result of her feeling "second guessed" by my new doc.
The next psych appointment through the system isn't until June. Assuming that new doc will do so, I will have to taper Paxil for a month and then wait for Cymbalta to start being effective (so *maybe* by Aug I might feel better!). I started the process w/mental health in Nov and since I am unemployed/uninsiured I don't have many options. It just seems to strange to have to "wait" a total of nine months to get the right med.
I feel as if I am being held hostage on Paxil by the psych as she clearly does not "believe" in fibro and isn't interested in helping me w/it.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions on a step b/t now and June b/c it seems so far from now.
TY for reading!