Hiccups. What's your cure?

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-19-2006
Hiccups. What's your cure?
4
Wed, 02-23-2011 - 2:58pm

I rarely have them, and don't like them, although they do make me giggle. It's a ticklish thing, I guess.

How do you cure them? The only thing that works for me is to supress my diaphragm while I take a deep breath, and hold the breath for as long as I can.

What do you do? Drink of water? Stand on your head? Shoe shopping? Chocolate cake?

Options and alternatives are always good to know about!

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-24-2009
Wed, 02-23-2011 - 3:09pm
nenuphar_19 wrote:

I rarely have them, and don't like them, although they do make me giggle. It's a ticklish thing, I guess.

How do you cure them? The only thing that works for me is to supress my diaphragm while I take a deep breath, and hold the breath for as long as I can.

What do you do? Drink of water? Stand on your head? Shoe shopping? Chocolate cake?

Options and alternatives are always good to know about!

Peanut butter — and no, I'm not kidding. A small spoonful of creamy peanut butter, swallowed all at once, does the trick for me. I have absolutely no idea why it works.




iVillage Member
Registered: 01-19-2006
Thu, 02-24-2011 - 2:13pm

Hmmm, that is the first time I've heard of peanut butter as a cure, but I trust you.

Do you think that is palliative? So that people who regularly eat creamy peanut butter are less likely to be afflicted with the hiccups?

And could one add grape jelly to the mix?

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-24-2009
Mon, 02-28-2011 - 6:24pm
nenuphar_19 wrote:

Hmmm, that is the first time I've heard of peanut butter as a cure, but I trust you.

Do you think that is palliative? So that people who regularly eat creamy peanut butter are less likely to be afflicted with the hiccups?

And could one add grape jelly to the mix?

Sorry, but I believe peanut butter only works as a treatment for hiccups and not as a preventative measure. And while peanut butter and grape jelly combine wonderfully for lunch, I'm afraid the consistency of the jelly would detract from the soothing properties of the peanut butter used as a cure for hiccups. :smileyindifferent:




iVillage Member
Registered: 01-19-2006
Sun, 03-27-2011 - 3:03pm
But we don't know until we do the field trials, right?
bunsofclay wrote:
nenuphar_19 wrote:

Hmmm, that is the first time I've heard of peanut butter as a cure, but I trust you.

Do you think that is palliative? So that people who regularly eat creamy peanut butter are less likely to be afflicted with the hiccups?

And could one add grape jelly to the mix?

Sorry, but I believe peanut butter only works as a treatment for hiccups and not as a preventative measure. And while peanut butter and grape jelly combine wonderfully for lunch, I'm afraid the consistency of the jelly would detract from the soothing properties of the peanut butter used as a cure for hiccups. :smileyindifferent: