Dial Down Your Holiday Stress

Administrator
Dial Down Your Holiday Stress
Mon, 11-26-2012 - 10:59am

Are you dealing with holiday stress? According to this Health Day News article, you can help ease the stress by toning down your expectations. ""Overly high expectations for the holidays -- be it around the food, the gifts or the family relationships -- can trigger anxiety and even depression," said Dr. Mallay Occhiogrosso, a psychiatrist at the Payne Whitney Clinic at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City, in a medical center news release. "Prioritizing self-care is important, as well as dialing down those unrealistic 'Hallmark holiday' fantasies." MORE

Do you have any ideas you can share to help others de-stress?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-26-2012 - 11:29am

We try to focus on what we all consider the prime part of the holidays; getting to spend time with family and friends. One thing we do is to make sure we emphasis the one-on-one time ... I'm setting aside one day with each of the grandkids to bake cookies... and will be taking pics of that to share with everyone.

Money is another stressful hurdle. We have almost made it into a competition of finding meaningful yet inexpensive gifts to exchange. I'll take my son shopping one day, my daugher another day and we make an event of finding inexpensive gifts for others that really work for the individuals. They use their imagination and we have some really fun conversations during those trips. It's become something we all look forward to, rather than dreading.