Who do you get to check moles?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-25-2008
Who do you get to check moles?
Fri, 07-05-2013 - 8:02am

Who do you get to check your moles or other suspicious skin problems-your family doctor? I have a place I would like to get looked at but not sure if I should check with family doctor first or make an appointment with a dermatologist.


Community Leader
Registered: 07-26-1999
Fri, 07-12-2013 - 4:33pm

I think it depends on your insurance.  Some insurances, if you don't already have a referral to a dermatologist, you will need to go to your primary care doctor first and then get a referral.  You family doctor may take a look at it and decide they can take care of it, or may want you to see the dermatologist.

Avatar for elc11
Community Leader
Registered: 06-16-1998
Fri, 07-19-2013 - 1:28am

For me, it depends on where it is located. When my dermatologist does my annual skin inspection he does not look at parts covered by underwear, he said that the gynecologist needs to check there! (The gyno said that he does inspect for skin cancer when he performs the annual well woman exam.) I have also had my internist look at moles etc. If your insurance allows you to go directly to a dermatologist I would probably recommend that, mainly because if it is suspicious you will probably end up there anyway. If a biopsy or removal needs to be done I would want it to be by somebody who works with a scalpel on a regular basis.