Online vs. Offline Support.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-02-2008
Online vs. Offline Support.
7
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 11:11am

As I was checking in on this forum today I was thinking about support and how some issues might be easier to reach out to others online vs. face to face.

I also know that sometimes it's not always easy to have face to face support and online becomes the only support available.

What does your support system look like?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-02-2008
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 11:24am

To answer my own question I guess I would say that I primarily make use of online supports if I need to talk about the things that relate to my sexual trauma.

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-04-2001
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 12:26pm

For me I feel safer talking with my therapist about it in person because she has helped me cope with the abuse so much in the last year. I won't however discuss this matter with my pschy dr at all, it could be he is a male and I am not comfortable. Because of the abuse I have a huge distrust of men and opening up abotu anything sexual is pure torture for me, including my husband. I just can't bring myself to make that step. I have several friends in real life that I am comfortable talking to about this,well 2 really because its such a hard subject to talk about. I have a group of LDS friends I have met online and that I have seen in person and I can share some with them, but not details.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-02-2008
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:58pm
thau wrote:

For me I feel safer talking with my therapist about it in person because she has helped me cope with the abuse so much in the last year. I won't however discuss this matter with my pschy dr at all, it could be he is a male and I am not comfortable. Because of the abuse I have a huge distrust of men and opening up abotu anything sexual is pure torture for me, including my husband. I just can't bring myself to make that step. I have several friends in real life that I am comfortable talking to about this,well 2 really because its such a hard subject to talk about. I have a group of LDS friends I have met online and that I have seen in person and I can share some with them, but not details.

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-04-2001
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 8:14pm

I do think comfort is needed in sharing. I would never go up to a complete stranger and share that I have bipolar disorder let alone my sexual/physical abse story with them.

I saw my therapist today and we are working on a trigger I"m having that is causing major panic attacks and issues for me. I think I know the trigger and I can avoid it, but it will be tough to do so. Let alone its going to be hard to realize that the nightmares and flashbacks are not my fault and that I don't want to go there.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-02-2008
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 8:51pm
thau wrote:

I do think comfort is needed in sharing. I would never go up to a complete stranger and share that I have bipolar disorder let alone my sexual/physical abse story with them.

I saw my therapist today and we are working on a trigger I"m having that is causing major panic attacks and issues for me. I think I know the trigger and I can avoid it, but it will be tough to do so. Let alone its going to be hard to realize that the nightmares and flashbacks are not my fault and that I don't want to go there.


Triggers can be difficult to work through.

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-09-2010
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 1:33pm

I personally find it much easier to talk about on-line than face to face. I like the anonymity of on-line. I only recently ever mentioned it in a face to face conversation and I'm not comfortable with it. I deal with humiliation though I know I was only a child. It's the main reason I never told anyone.

Nancy
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-02-2008
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 5:33pm
piananana wrote:

I personally find it much easier to talk about on-line than face to face. I like the anonymity of on-line. I only recently ever mentioned it in a face to face conversation and I'm not comfortable with it. I deal with humiliation though I know I was only a child. It's the main reason I never told anyone.