The Steubenville, Ohio rape case

Administrator
The Steubenville, Ohio rape case
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 10:29am

Have you been reading about the Steubenville, Ohio rape case that is now making national news? A young ball player made a Youtube video about a rape that occured last year. Thanks to social media, it has now blown up and Steubenville authorities are being accused of a cover up. People claim it is another example of football being more important than anything else (does Penn State come to mind here).

What do you think about all this?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 10:36am

Absolutely horrifying. I've been in that part of the country before and you would never think of this kind of thing happening. However, I think that Penn State was only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this kind of horrid thing being covered up and it comes as no suprise that football is driving force behind the Steubenvill cover up too.

Maybe the tide is starting to turn and people are going to wake up and realize what the sports obsession is really doing to people.It's turned people into horrible monsters. And we call them winners and glorify their every move because there is so much money involved.

I feel so sorry for the girl and her family. I don't know how she is getting through all this. I hope she has a good support system.

Nancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 10:51am

OMG... this is the first I've heard about it and I'm speechless! Sounds like a major cover-up was exposed. 

Followed some of the links and now, it seems the attention has caused a school lockdown after some type of shooting threat was made on social media. 
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/topics/steubenville-rape/ 

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 2:04pm
I find the entire story so horrible. How can anyone watch as a girl is being treated in such a manner? Did anyone see the video of the boy talking about witnessing it? It's just beyond inhuman to hear someone talk so degrading and bereft of any guilt. I also read that that party where it happened was allegedly at the home of a county prosecutor and the former high school principal. Nice to know they raise these types of kids!
Community Leader
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 9:42pm
It took me days to get most of the facts from this. First there is some question about evidence. The next problem is the illegal hacking of supposedly a vigilante group. Naming names of the minors accused has caused a problem. The public has not been in anyone of the accounts given all the truth and the name of the accuser has been with held. One video which is on a Russian server is of no use as evidence. It's the one where drunken guys are being rowdy. Even that is suspicious. The hard part is not knowing the truth except as these political and fame seeking persons or groups fan mob hysteria. People get wound up with out taking the time to calm down and see all of what happened. Worse the media can't get the story straight. We will have to wait until there is a trial before a lot of the relevant evidence comes out.

dragowoman