Warning Signs of Suicide
Find a Conversation
|Thu, 04-04-2013 - 2:29am|
As I mentioned in a previous post, here are some of the warning signs of a person who may be suicial:
Please call 911 if needed.
Are There Warning Signs of Suicide?
Warning signs that someone may be thinking about or planning to commit suicide include:
- -Always talking or thinking about death
- -Clinical depression -- deep sadness, loss of interest, trouble sleeping and eating -- that gets worse
- -Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, such as driving fast or running red lights
- -Losing interest in things one used to care about
- -Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- -Putting affairs in order, tying up loose ends, changing a will
- -Saying things like "it would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
- -Sudden, unexpected switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
- -Talking about suicide or killing one's self
- -Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
Be especially concerned if a person is exhibiting any of these warning signs and has attempted suicide in the past. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, between 20% and 50% of people who commit suicide have had a previous attempt.