Karla's Power of 10 workout
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 05-21-2014 - 3:42pm|
Here you go, Karla--sorry I kept forgetting! Or, I'd remember at times I didn't have time to put one together. So this is 10 exercises, reps as follows w/ each exercise. Ideally, you want to repeat the whole cycle 10 times through. Make sure to get a good 5-10 minute warm up. This will help w/ running, plus help w/ opposite muscle groups so you're not unbalanced. On any exercise that is one sided, do one side through. On the second cycle, do the other side.
1) burpees the bottom of the clock: Pretend you're standing in the middle of a clock. Do a burpee only instead of jumping your feet out straight behind you, do it to the 3:00 so you're almost in a side plank. Do a push up (this should be really challenging and hard), jump feet back and jump up in the air. Next to a burpee, feet out to the 4:00, push up, jump feet back in, explode up. Continue to the 9:00 so your body is on the opposite side of the 3:00 one. Come back to 8:00, 7:00, etc. back to 3:00.
2) ball V plank--this is a silks exercise, aim for 10. Lie on your back. Curl up in a ball, reaching arms towards feet, knees to chest, sitting on your tail bone. Okay, got that? Balanced? Now straighten your legs, extend arms so you're in a V position. Slowly, come back down to beginning on ground.
3) hold a plank, on hands, elbow straight. For 30 seconds, slowly lower yourself to the ground, keep elbows close to body so upper arms touch body.
4) superman, 10 reps. On BOSU if possible
5) 1 leg mountain climber, 30 seconds. Yeah, just like it sounds--keep one leg off the ground. If you have a BOSU, turn it dome side down, hands on the BOSU
If you really want to supersize it, try it against a solid wall. Leg on ground, jump leg onto wall, jump leg back onto ground, etc. If you do this, make sure the wall is reinforced. At home, it could go through the dry wall, although it should be really light and soft.
6) Same body bar, deadlift w/ it in one arm, same leg up in the air. When you're bent over, do a back row. Do 10 reps.
1 leg deadlift (this video shows two hand weights. Use one body bar in the opposite arm of the supporting leg, ie if you're on your right leg, your left arm is holding the body bar parallel to the floor. Do a one arm back row when you're bent over. This is an idea of it but don't do it on the BOSU upside down! And, only row one arm. Do 10 reps per side.
7) Air jacks w/ 180 degree turn. Like this but turn 180 degrees so you land facing the opposite direction. Do it 10 times
8) using body bar (12-15 lbs would be good), hold in both hands (palms facing up), in front of you, parallel to floor. throw it up, catch it down low for 30 seconds, holding it parallel to the floor, Hold it w/ one arm and do 10 bicep curls w/ that arm.
9) lunge to a knee drive. This shows the progression. The tube from behind is a great addition but unnecessary. 30 secs per leg
10) tricep roll down, on BOSU is easier. This is harder to explain. Start in a plank, over the BOSU, hands on top. You want your hands to be closer to the rim (to start), chest over the top of the BOSU. Roll down so that your forearms and on the BOSU. Roll back up to plank. Do this as many times as you can, aim for 10. When this gets do-able, try it flat on the ground, hands should be farther forward than normal. This is really hard. But, fun!