Danica Patrick and the Daytona 500

Community Leader
Danica Patrick and the Daytona 500
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 9:07am

I don't know if any of you are NASCAR fans but even if you aren't, surely you've seen where a woman, Danica Patrick, is the buzz when it comes to racing news right now. She's the first woman to ever win the prized pole position at the Daytona 500. I've loosely followed her career for many years now and I think it incredible that she has done so well in a clearly male dominated sport. While I am not exactly a fan of hers, I have to admire her for sticking to her dreams. She is a great example of being able to do anything one wants to do regardless of gender. 

In my few years of life I've seen things change drastically for women. It'll be interesting to tell my great-grandchildren that once upon a time women couldn't do ________ simply because they were female. I bet they will find it unbelievable. 

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 9:30am

I don't follow NASCAR at all but I did hear about this.  Any time women make inroads in a predominantly male field, that is a wonderful thing!  

Community Leader
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 9:46am
Yes, it's hard to believe that at one time, women couldn't vote. :O Go, Danica, GO!
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 4:48pm
I love to tell people that when I was in high school, we wore skirts to play basketball...six on a side, and the two forwards and two guards weren't allowed to leave their end of the court...we were such delicate flowers...Title IX is a wonderful thing....I remember when Gerry Ferrarra was nominated for vice president...I cried and cried I was so moved by the possibilities...we have a long way to go, but we've come a long way. I remember a line I heard on an episode of 'Designing Women', spoken by an older black woman 'we ain't where we're gonna be, we ain't where we ought a be, but we sure ain't where we was'
Community Leader
Tue, 02-26-2013 - 3:07pm

Too bad congress did not fund Title IX.  Many universities and colleges had to kill many men's programs to accommodate the numbers.  Congress,causes problems not solves them.

chaika