Sign in difficulties on Monday...2019 error message

Community Leader
Sign in difficulties on Monday...2019 error message
Mon, 12-10-2012 - 8:53am

Good Monday Morning!  After a full week of no workouts, I couldn't stand it,even though I was thoroughly exhausted, so I went to yoga yesterday.  When I came home, I took a two hour nap, ate dinner, did some admin work, and went back to bed.  I feel a bit better today though.

Busy week - two work meetings - one for the new leadership (meet and greet), a retirement party (local office closing so they laid off many), and work, work, work.  Tomorrow, I have work and I am supposed to take a big office linedancing to a new venue.   I met a lady who does therapy dog work at the local hospital, and she is confident that my dog will qualify, just after watching him when I was training him.  I think it would be rewarding to bring a smile to the faces of sick people.  At least it would be something positive for me...and perhaps it would help my customers see me in a different "light".

I also have lots of legal stuff to attend to since I have court next week.  Big UGH.  "Calgon, take me away."  At least I have my health and wonderful family around me.  This yucky midwest winter weath is so dang stanky, though.  :(

Pages

Community Leader

Karla, that dog story is HORRIBLE.  That is why dh says we should NEVER get a rescue dog - you don't know how the previous owner treated the dog, and since it is still an animal with animal instincts, you never know how the dog will react in a given situation.  Knowing that a mastiff recently killed its new owner (she was an EMT, so she was competent), it's all very sad.

SJ, that's a WONDERFUL zumba class, and just shows that you never know what the zumba class will be like until you take it.  When I see the women at our gym doing zumba, it's more of a movement class, and not a workout, imho...but, one day, that may be all that I do (movement, that is.)  :P

Community Leader
Wed, 12-12-2012 - 6:42pm

Soundslike a fun zumba class!  Push ups are a great addition.

iVillage Member
The gym here is small, and I haven't investigated much of the equipment yet. There are three bikes, three treadmills, and 2 weight benches in one room, and equipment in another. It is quite busy at the time I've been going, but I hope to go Saturday and I hope it will be quieter. There are different locker rooms for the gym and the itness classes. The class studio is good sized, mirrored walls, and Hamas, ball etc. I have only been to Zumba, but next week I plan to try Ball Pilates. The Zumba instructor is good...energetic, clean movements, and prety choreography. There is one song, I think of it at the 'alay alay alay' song and near the end, you drop and do push ups. The first two nights I just bounced in place and laughed, but tonight I was ready and hit the floor with everyone else. You actually circle while you do the pushups...very unique and fun. So proud of myself...
Community Leader
Tue, 12-11-2012 - 7:17am

Fine line between common sense and fear!Laughing

Community Leader
Tue, 12-11-2012 - 7:16am

Awesome compliment!  Given how many people can be at a gym, it's nice someone noticed you and your form! What are gyms like there?  Is the equipment similar? Although, every gym here also varies so it might be hard to compare. 

It's a good question about my fitness goals. For the most part, I want to be more fit than my activities require so that as I improve, my improvment doesn't depend on my lack of fitness.  But, I'm already there on parts of aerial silks in lakc of strength.  I was upside down w/ the silk around the leg and the instructor told me to sit up and grab the silk with one hand while the other held the silk below. I didn't have the core strength to get up. That bothers me, for all the working out, especially core work, that I do. It's not about technique which I'm fine with but about lack of strength.

But, this all might be my feeling out of shape because I feel my waist getting bigger.  I did Zumba and then bootcamp (awesome class--we did tabatas but two back to back, no rest so it was 8 minutes total. LOL, I called the instructor out on it after class and he laughed and said he had an hour to fill...).  I could work harder than others in the bootcamp class, at least w/ proper form, and was barely winded.  But, I also think your body remembers what it's done in the past and I've taught that for long enough that I have that base.

iVillage Member

Hello from Krakow, where it was 9 degrees and foggy yesterday..tonight it is snowing.   I went to the gym and biked for ten minutes, then lifted - combo lifts with abs in between.  Thrill of the night, one of the Polish guys walked by and said'excellent form' to me....I bailed on the gym on Saturday but I am signed up for Zumba tomorrow, so this week is starting well.   FSN, glad you are feeling better.  Karla, congrats on your A, Jean, what are your fitness goals?  How do you know you are out of shape?  You are investing time in working out, but perhaps you need to redirect?  Gymrat, I allow myself th minimum time in th morning, so if I oversleep, I am late...no way to recover.  

iVillage Member

I think all stunts should be tempered with common sense.  :)  

And no kidding on being jarring...  I need some time to wake up and I have a lot to do in the morning so time to relax for me.  It all worked out though. 

Community Leader
Mon, 12-10-2012 - 4:37pm

That's so sad.  It all comes back to bad dog owners and ones who don't train theirs.  Her poor little dog.

Community Leader
Mon, 12-10-2012 - 4:35pm

Yeah, it takes upper body strength to do silks but with parkour, mostly I just stand around and watch and make minor attempts. I don't know why I hold back so much. I can run up the ramp and grab the wall but the idea of leaping at it and pulling myself up high freaks me out.  So,I don't really do most of the moves and the ones I do, I just go through the motions. I remember people doing that in skating and skiing and thought they'd never get further unless they put in more effort. That's me now.

I hate waking up late, even if I make it on time.  It's jarring for me, maybe because I'm so obessive compulsive. It goes back to that essay you posted about worrying and being content and okay with being late.

Community Leader

Speaking of dog therapy, I heard the saddest story from this older woman at the shoe store yesterday. I was browsing boots and this very older woman comes up and she asks if she can assist me. I tell her I was just looking and we got to chatting. I noticed scars on her arms and she saw me looking and told me what happened. She had been out walking her tiny little dog (showed me pics) that she had for 14 years and they both got attacked by a larger dog. She tried to stop the attack and the dog tore her up and killed her pet. She was hospitalized.

I felt so bad as she was telling me the story. I can't imagine how she survived a dog attack she looked so frail. She said she decided to get a cat just recently and believes she got the best cat ever born. My heart was breaking listening to her. 

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

Pages