Can I afford to wait a year for treatment?
Find a Conversation
|Mon, 06-30-2014 - 12:07pm|
Hi. My sister was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and she recommended I should get tested since it can run in families. I have pretty low energy, plus a few other symptoms (like a widely varying luteal phase in my cycle), so I agreed that I should. What I don't have is insurance, so I went into the low-cost clinic for a physical. My initial blood test came back with a TSH level of about 11. The doctor wasn't sure, so he had me wait a couple months and have another test. That time, the TSH was at 19. Both times, my Free T4 was 0.8.
Those TSH levels are pretty high from what I can tell, but the doctor says that even though it's abnormal, it's not a big deal because I don't have a weight problem. He dismissed my other symptoms because they're "not an exact science." As far as he's concerned, this is the end of it until my next physical.
So how bad is this? It will be another year before I have insurance. Should I scrounge up the money to go into a endocrinologist for a second opinion, and then more if he/she recommends treatment? I kind of figure that I've been tired for a long time already, and what's another year? Or could this get out of hand and dangerous in that time? I'm just not sure.