Gay Athletes Could be Prosecuted at 2014 Olympic Games

Administrator
Gay Athletes Could be Prosecuted at 2014 Olympic Games
Thu, 08-01-2013 - 11:15am

According to ABC News, gay athletes and fans could be prosecuted in Russia during the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. "In Russia it is now illegal to even speak about homosexuality around minors, much less openly display gay pride. Technically the ban is against "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" around minors, but the implication for openly gay individuals is clear. Public displays of affection by gays, including holding hands or displaying symbols like a rainbow flag, are now banned. Violators face steep fines and jail time; foreigners face similar penalties plus deportation.

So what will happen to openly gay athletes and fans, as well as any vocal supporters or protestors, when Russia hosts the Winter Olympics next year in Sochi?

This week, comments by a lawmaker from St. Petersburg set off a firestorm online when he said that fans and athletes would not be immune from prosecution during the games." read more

Your thoughts?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member

I have two schools of thought here.

The first is that everyone should boycott the games to send a message loud and clear that we won't tolerate this.

The second is that when in Russia, do as the Russians do.

So honestly, I'm not really sure what, if anything, should be done.

iVillage Member

That's crazy, and something that needs to be addressed before countries send their athletes there. I could see this being a huge international issue if they take a hard stance. It's not the way you want to promote tourism in your country.