Have you heard of a mourning pshycologist?

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-03-2013
Have you heard of a mourning pshycologist?
Fri, 06-27-2014 - 5:20pm

Is this kind of person exists or it is just a pshychologist plain and simple? There is a lady at work whose grandfather passed away last wweek, he was very ill lately so it was not like a surprise for the family if he died unexpectadly. The thing is that this coworker  (she is 37)  is very cathollic. The thing is that she was telling me earlier the day that she will leave the office early cause a mourning physchologist will talk to the whole family. and then as joking she told me, this gentleman will think that all the family are really crazy cause we need to talk to a person like him. So I was wonderinf if there is such as a mourning pshycholoigst

Avatar for elc11
Community Leader
Registered: 06-16-1998
Fri, 06-27-2014 - 8:29pm

Yes, there are professionals who specialize in this area. There are different names for the specialty in the US such as grief counseling or bereavement counseling. In your area apparently its called a mourning psychologist but its probably the same thing. I know a few people who have seen one after the death of a close family member.