absence after returning

iVillage Member
absence after returning
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 8:32am

After making a brief comeback to this bored I had some more health issues and was finally diagnosed with Lupus a couple weeks ago. I just started my medication that should help control the symptoms and if after 6 months it doesn't then im told we will try a different medication. During those few weeks I began gaining more weight back. On March 20th I decided I had had enought of my own crap and decided that I cannot feel sorry for myself I need to eat healthier and exercise more according to the little research I had done at that point so I weighed myself (314 pounds) and then got online and joined an online support group and researched a low cholesterol and lupus friendly diet. Although there is no "diet" for lupus I decided I'd do the low cholesterol thing ( im on meds for that now also) and one thing that I kept reading is exercise is important and so is choosing healthy food like whole grains and low fat food. So I weighed in this past Sunday and was down to 312.5. Hopefully with this new diagnosis this will be my final attempt at shedding some of this weight not to look good or be thin but just so I will feel better!

Thanks everyone! :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 11:35am
Wow you have gone through so much! HUGS!!! Congrats on your weight loss! You are on the right track now. Just stick with what you are doing.
Have you talked with the doctor about your WL plans?I'm just don't know much about Lupus.
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 11:09am
Yeah they told me to do slim fast so that I would loose the weight quicker. After researching the product and talking to the diatician at my mothers work I decided against that approach. I tried slim fast in the past and while it worked for others I felt hungry all the time. I have been eating whole grains and she has provided a list of foods that may trigger Lupus symptoms like pain, swelling, and such so I am avoiding those things. As a plus exercise is suppose to help me feel better and I can tell a difference in the pain from before to when I am done..I just don't hurt as bad. Since I see a clinic right now for my healthcare needs Im kinda alone in this and researching myself so Im slowly learning things like to stay away from sodium and caffeine and if im out in the sun I can blister which explains last summer! LOL!!! I have also been going to the Lupus board lately to get help and advise.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 9:54pm
Welcome back! Sorry that you are dealing with health issues but happy that you know what you are dealing with.

I'm sure that by eating healthier and getting a moderate amount of exercise you will start to feel better. I often turn to food to 'comfort' me despite knowing that later I will be sorry and not comforted - best wishes on taking care of yourself in healthy ways!

SJ
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-01-2011 - 9:34pm

I think it's great that you found the Lupus board and are spending time there as well.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"