Back

iVillage Member
Back
Fri, 05-27-2011 - 10:45pm

Hi, All.

I used to be around here a lot a while ago... How to make a long story short? I don't know....

I started at 259. I got down to 229 over the past several months working with an amazing trainer... He moved recently, and so I'm kind of working with a new trainer, but I haven't been able to see him consistently, and we really don't know each other yet. I've not lost any weight since my trainer moved, and in fact I've had a couple of weeks where I've gained.

I'm dealing with an ankle injury (I've had 2 surgeries in the past two years) that has been hell to rehab (2 steps forward, 1.75 back). I've also developed some knee issues during the ankle rehab. It's so hard. The reality is that the best treatment for both my ankle and my knee: to lose this weight. But how do I get there? I've had several periods where I have not been allowed to do any workout other than upper body weights... Last night I was riding my bike to the gym for a yoga class, and I put my foot down to stop at an intersection and my ankle buckled and I sprained it... That's how bad it is--I can sprain it riding a bike! It's ridiculous. My past trainer did a great job working with and around the leg stuff... It's definitely gone downhill since I stopped working out with him.

So here I am with at least 80 more pounds to go and I feel like I'm totally floundering. I don't know why everything feels so much more difficult without my trainer here, but, honestly, I have no idea how to fix what's going on. I need this though. I need to lose this weight. God, I feel almost desperate.

new sig
iVillage Member
In reply to: aimsterg
Sat, 05-28-2011 - 2:28pm

Hi Amy, and welcome (back) !

That must be very frustrating to lose the coaching of someone that you felt very comfortable with and relied on for good advice!

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-28-2011 - 6:38pm

Amy,

I can relate on both the ankle injury and the trainer issue.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-30-2011 - 12:26am

Thank you both for your replies.

I think that what makes this even more difficult is that my trainer was also my nutritionist. He would constantly make little changes to my diet each week--add a snack here, take out the fruit here, add some protein there... My weight loss has been all over the place--some weeks I will be 100% on my diet and exercise plan and gain 2 pounds, and other weeks I will be a little off and lose 6 pounds. So we were working really hard to find the right balance and plan and stuff.... We were starting to think that it's a food allergy of some sort... I went 4 months, losing 9 pounds, then I took out gluten and lost 21 pounds in 3 months. But it's still very up and down, hit or miss. So he was thinking there were probably some other allergies that are messing with things. I am 100% gluten-free, and eat very minimal amounts of dairy and soy. So it is hard to know where to go now without him guiding. And he changed my workout every week based on my ankle symptoms, so it's hard to go back to a workout we have done before since they varied so much.

I think too, though, that I am being really hard on myself. I have hid a major snag here, but if I'm really honest, there is a lot that has gone on in the past month that could account for a lot of it... In addition to losing my trainer, I reinjured my ankle, taking me completely off exercise for a week... Then my grandma died... Which, in and of itself is stressful... And I was also on the road, travelling, which also makes things really hard. And I was trying a month off my birth control, which, of course, messes with hormones which messes with all of this too.

I feel like I need to find my confidence--to start believing that I can do this, that I am doing this. When I get discouraged is when I am off of my plan the most. And then I need to find someone who can help me figure all this weird stuff out. I was thinking about going to see my doctor this coming week... He's a holistic doctor, so maybe he'll have some ideas.

new sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-30-2011 - 1:16pm

Amy, it does sound like you've had an awful lot going on lately.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"