Closer than I thought!!!

iVillage Member
Closer than I thought!!!
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 9:16pm

So I saw that new trainer I wrote about today, and it was really nice. I like her a lot. Our main focus for the next couple months is nutrition. Gotta get that 100%.

BUT.... We did body composition testing, to give a better idea of how much protein I should be eating and what my goal weight should be, and I feel like I got some really good news. I mean, obviously, I am way overweight, so it's not "good," but compared to what I thought, it's fantastic.

I was thinking that, as a 5'3" tall woman, according to BMI, my max healthy weight would be 140 pounds. But we did this testing today and it showed that I have 140.7 pounds of lean body mass (bone, muscle, and connective tissue). According to this, my max ideal weight is around 183, but my trainer said she'd be really happy with 187 (25% fat mass). That's only 44 pounds to go rather than the 87 pounds I was assuming I still had to lose. And even the lower end of my ideal weight is 172 pounds, only 55 to go! That's crazy. I am already down 32. I can do this!!!!! I could even do it by my 26th birthday (next February). Even if I get down 30 more pounds, I'm in a healthy range! Back when I was losing weight with my last trainer, I was averaging 4 pounds a week, so I know this is doable.

I feel motivated again, which is going to make a big difference. I feel like this is not only possible, but it is within my reach.

I knew I was strong--my old trainer used to tell me I was the strongest woman he trained, but I didn't realiz it would make this much of a difference. It's crazy what a big difference this makes--there's literally no way I could get down to 140 (what I thought my goal weight should be) without losing lean body mass.... Which is going to take off so much frustration. I am just so psyched.

new sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 10:50pm

Even though I weigh just about every day, I think to suceed on this journey it has to be aimed not at reaching a number but at finding a way of healthy eating and exercising that

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 3:25pm

44 pounds to totally in your range! Wow that is amazing news! I'm thinking I need to get that test done as well. Now I'm really wondering what my test would say! I think if you really stick with it you can come very close to that number by the end of the year. It's that amazing to think about? By the fall you can look like a whole new person! :) I'm SO excited for you!!!!

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 1:57pm

Amy,

I'm glad you like your new trainer.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"