Fat in France and trying to start..... AGAIN - Am I in the right spot???

iVillage Member
Fat in France and trying to start..... AGAIN - Am I in the right spot???
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 8:49am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to iVilliage, and to this group and looking for a community to help kick-start my 2012!

iVillage Member
Wow! Thanks so much for that book list. I'm going to add them to my Christmas wish list (and maybe even buy one for my self to start reading now!)
iVillage Member

I love the walking tour idea!!

I have to admit I read health and diet advice books. I take them with a grain of salt!! I never believe every single bit of advice but they keep me motivated and gives me good ideas on sticking with my core program. I try to be selective with what I read. I started reading a book by Dr. Phil that seems very reasonable thus far. I also have a book by Bob Greene about dealing with emotional eating and setting a good plan for weight loss. I've also read this year a very medical approach to weight loss by a MD. he uses a very very slow approach to WL but its very good info for understanding what is actually happening to the body as it gains and loses weight.

The Ultimate Weight Solution by Dr. Phil

Make the Connection by Bob Greene. I also want to get the follow up book by Bob Greene called Keep the Connection

Break Through Your Set Point by George L. Blackburn, MD

I also read weight loss memoirs! (Don't laugh! LOL!) I find them so motivating and interesting. I've read:

The Amazing Adventures of Diet Girl by Sauna Reid. This gal lost a ton of weight in her 20's. She also keeps a blog about her journey. It's very touching and funny at times!

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Lola, Bonjour! Je t'aime Zumba! I live in Boston but I spend a lot of time on Cape Cod in the summer, and the gym there has the best Zumba teachers. The main teacher at the Boston gym is not that good, but a new instructor just started and I've heard his classes are good. I've never tried Zumba tapes but I like Pilates on Exercise tv, also ab videos. I try to think about the things I do on this journey as being things like brushing my teeth. I don't really like to do it, but I have it in my routine, so I do it every day. I have a lot of rules - no vending machine food, always walk to and from work, bring my lunch. This works for me because I don't decide every day whether I will or won't do something. I know if I decide to take a taxi, I am breaking my own rule. I am not saying I never do it, but I can rationalize a lot and this takes that out if the occasions. The same with the gym. I have a plan each week and I know that if I use 'too tired' or 'too busy' as an excuse today, it will be good tomorrow..so I know I can't use it. That is just something that works for me... Best wishes SJ
iVillage Member
Hi Lola, and welcome to the board! You're definitely in the right place for the best support possible. These ladies are awesome and will ALWAYS be here when you need to let it all out. You mentioned Weight Watchers. There's also a Weight Watchers board here that you may want to check out. It's not a face-to-face meeting but it's pretty good support for those following WW plans, and it's in english. =)

Sometimes when you're first starting out it's about both motivation and willpower. Motivation should be the thing that drives you and your willpower is your backup plan when the motivation fails. I'm in complete agreement with TMZ, sometimes it's very overwhelming to work on a diet and exercise at the same time, especially if you're used to being lax with both. Take it one thing at a time. Get into some new eating habits, more water and less eating out (I'm SO guilty of that one!), and the slowly add in exercise. It doesn't seem quite so overwhelming and remember that no matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

I would LOVE to see you use SJ's suggestion. That would be an awesome thing to read about. You could even start a photo blog. I know I'd definitely follow it!

Keep us posted!

Misty

P.S. Zumba = <3
iVillage Member
Wow SJ - what a great recommendation! You know, I have lived here for so long that I forget how beautiful and glamorous it might be for people back home! Maybe I should start a Paris walking journal!!!! LOVE IT! And maybe I will feature a different arrondisment every time! :-)

As far as other excercize, I was really addicted to Zumba for a while, and I also love Yoga. I just need to break out the videos and start doing them again. The problem here is motivation. I was doing both from Feb to October this year and lost 24 pounds. In October, my motivation vanished and the pounds are starting to creep back in. I really don't want to get back to those dreaded 250's! I have got to start shrinking again!

Tmz, can you tell me more about your book ideas? I am anxious to get on an upswing here and can use the motivation in any form!

I am so glad I found you guys! Thanks a lot for your warm welcome!
iVillage Member
If you are in Paris, you are definitely in the right place! I love Paris. Welcome to the board! Each of us is on our own journey and following different plans, but we all encourage each other and make suggestions. I am the exercise nut. Almost all my weight loss comes from working out (about 50 pounds- I lost more but some found me). I was never an athlete, but I have found lots of things I like to do at the gym. I don't know if there are gyms in Paris, or if you have access to exercise videos, but those care good ways to start. My recollections of Paris are of walking everywhere, and of fresh food for sale at little markets. I would love it if you would find 20 minutes to walk each day and then tell us where you went and what you saw. I love the word 'arrondissement' - you could use it in a sentence every day...tell us where you spent your time. I wish I had kept track of how many bridges I crossed on the Seine. You could make it a goal to cross two or three bridges a day, walk enough to do that, and tell us about it. Usually I suggest drinking lots of water instead of soda, juice, sweet coffee drinks. Walk 20 minutes a day. Journal your food - maybe 'en francais'. It would be cool to read that you had framboise and fromage... You probably have a chance to eat great food, but if you journal you might find that you are waiting calories on plain old junk food that you could get anywhere. Anyway, welcome and post often...we are gearing up for an exciting 2012! Best wishes SJ
iVillage Member

Hello! Welcome! YES You are in the right spot! :) In 2008 I lived in the UK for a few months and traveled to Paris and I know exactly what you mean about being overweight in France. You honestly do stick out because there is not the overweight problem there like it is here. I'll never forget how when I moved back to Texas how I kept thinking "OMG there are so many BIG people here!" Even though I was one of those "big" people. haha!

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!