Food Experiment

iVillage Member
Food Experiment
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 5:01pm

I am thinking about doing a cooking experiment this week since I can't go out in the rain. I got a new steaming tray and a little crock pot and was thinking about seeing how many different meals I can come up with that only use fresh ingredients, no canned food, no high sodium broth added, etc. Now the question: What is in season right now? And how do you know when steamed veggies are done?

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 5:58pm
So today at work I had one of my work sessions with my boss. It doesn't happen too often so I never know what to expect. It used to be really nervous about the meetings but now it's really easy. Anyways my boss lost 100 pounds through diet and exercise several years ago and has kept it off. She's a source of motivation for me and so supportive. Today I was telling her about my foot and how I have to do these stretches. She wanted me to show her the stretches and we ended up doing a ten minute stretch and quick yoga session right there at work! LO!L! Honestly, the best job ever for this phase of my life!! :) Feeling blessed this afternoon.
Hope all of you are having a good weekend ladies!
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 1:57pm
I saw on TV today that radishes and turnips are in season right now. Unless you live somewhere in the south. I love this idea! Do you have access to a farmer's market?
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 8:09pm
What is in season kind of depends on where you live. Here in New England, all you can pick up outdoors are rocks...not even snowballs for snowball soup... My grocery store has asparagus on sale this week, so it must be in season somewhere. You could check the sales flyers at your local grocery - the on sale stuff is often in season. I can tell if vegetables are done based on color, but I am not sure I can explain it. I like to catch them between crisp and mushy - I think 5- 7 minutes would be hit for most. Let us know how the experiment goes! SJ