Foods Recommendation Thread

iVillage Member
Foods Recommendation Thread
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 12:20pm

Let's start a ongoing thread of foods you find that you would suggest or recommend! It can be anything you find in your local food stores. Please try and give us all the details you can such as brand/flavor/price so that we can all give it a try. I hope this is a good resource for all our members! 

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 12:28pm

I'll start us off when a yummy favorite around my house! I love the Fiber One Apple Muffins. The muffins are higher in fiber and lower in calories. 

Fiber One Apple Muffin LINK

Here's a tip: Follow the instructions on the SIDE of the box for the lower calorie and cholesterol free baking option. I also put in a extra 1/2 Tablespoon of Cinnamon to the mix. I think the mix really needs that extra flavor and it does the trick! ENJOY! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:28pm
I wanted to add a oldie but goodie that I started making this week. Sugar Free Jello pudding! Don't forget to pick up some skim milk if you want the lower calorie option. It's the perfect after dinner treat.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 8:11am
I normally don't get a lot of leafy green veggies as recommended so recently I have been trying different things. One of my favorites is swiss chard with mushrooms. I saute the sliced mushrooms in some olive oil (healthy oil). I take them out and put them on my plate. Then I chop the swiss chard into bite side pieces, and toss it with the oil left in the pan from the mushrooms. You don't need a lot of oil, just enough the lightly coat the chard. I sprinkle some garlic salt and put a lid on the pan over a low heat. The steam building up wilts the chard, but I do stir a couple times to make sure it's not burning. It only takes several minutes. Then I add the mushrooms back in to warm them up. DH won't eat this, so I make it for my lunch. It's delicious and I feel good knowing it's so healthy!

Carol