Gain during AF???

iVillage Member
Gain during AF???
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 12:45am

I was down 8 pounds. Then AF showed up and my weight jumped up 5 pounds! I was actually really good and kept my PMS craving undercontrol. So I was surprised to see such a jump. Do you gain a few every time you get your period? Does it come back off quickly after AF leaves or do you have to work to get it back off?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-08-2012 - 10:52am
Amy I am on the other side of menopause, so have no recent experience, but I think it is very common to retain fluid during your time of the month. Even if you ate watching calories, if you eat differently, carbs and salt can mess you up, and of course those hormones....I remember that I would always have a couple of high energy days right before, and then want to curl up on the couch snd eat chocolate during....perhaps tracking your emotional and physical feelings for a few months as they compare to your cycle can help you see what is true for your body. Most people resist journaling but it is such a powerful tool to learn about yourself. You might find that by increasing the water you drink during and right after your period will help lush fluid. The important thing is to not let the scale derail you. If you do the hard work for this journey, it will work. Best wishes SJ
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-08-2012 - 11:50am
I am trying to focus on the 2 inches around my waist that I lost despite the 5 pounf gain. It is only a 4 pound gain now BTW. It is slowly coming back off. Thanks for the journaling idea.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-09-2012 - 10:36am
I would suggest you track your weight each week and daily during AF and in the days after. I know you've had some issues in the past but you might be able to see a pattern with AF weight gain. Back when I was closer to 300 pounds I would gain close to 8 pounds during AF. Now I gain about 4 pounds. I've tracked my weight for so long I know now exactly when I'm about to start because I drop 1 to 1.5 pounds in the 12 hours right before I'm about to start. I then gain 4 pounds in one day after I start. LOL! It hangs around for about 5 days and then slowly comes off over the course of 48 hours as long as I was able to keep my eating in check. If I work out and eat right during AF I will lose all 5 pounds plus 2 more pounds. The other two pounds are "weight loss" pounds, not water weight pounds from AF.
Keep tracking and you'll start to see some patterns!
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!