Had to share...

iVillage Member
Had to share...
Wed, 06-01-2011 - 6:39pm

So last night, I rode my bike to the gym, not expecting to do a workout as I didn't get on the road until after 8pm, but I needed to get my watch/heart rate monitor fixed. I went up to the trainers' desk, and this trainer happened to be there. I met her once when there was a fitness challenge I was participating in (unfortunately, I didn't know what all was going to be involved and due to my injured ankle I could only do one of the six tasks)... So I walked up there, and she goes, "Hey, look who it is! How's the ankle?" I sat down and asked her about my watch (turns out there's only one guy at the gym who knows how to fix them and he works mornings)... Then she was asking me about how the other stuff was going, and I totally just put everything out there--how I'm gaining right now and I'm freaked out about it, how I can't seem to find a new trainer now that my old one left, how I'm not doing the triathlon I've been hoping for all year, etc. She started talking about how she would be more than willing to meet with me half an hour a week for the next month and a half or so (using sessions I've already paid for and can't figure out how to use) just to talk about nutrition. She thinks I've got enough input from my physical therapist about my workouts, and that I can use the upper body workouts I've gotten from the trainer I've seen most recently on strength days, but that the real key for me right now is going to be getting my nutrition 100%.

So, I'd see her once a week for a weigh-in, body composition testing, and going over a food journal. I've never had that intense accountability... Even with my old trainer (the one who moved), we weighed in each week and he'd ask me how my diet was, but not with a food journal and stuff. She sent me an e-mail with a list of information she would want before we met the first time (exercise history, injury history, sleep habits, stress, physical therapy workouts, other workouts, food log, etc.)... I've been typing all of it up and so far it's 4 pages long... I've never gone this in depth about all this different stuff with anyone.

I'm kind of excited and I'm hoping that this goes somewhere good.

Also--I see my doctor tomorrow after work, so we'll see what he has to say too!

new sig
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-01-2011 - 10:10pm

That is awesome!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 11:30am

Amy,

That's great!

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"